Author Topic: glue for overlays?  (Read 2318 times)

Offline Little John

glue for overlays?
« on: February 10, 2009, 01:43:45 pm »
I have been having a hard time with overlays (my first) I used epoxy and never thought about them popping off. I am working on a 70" holmie with 5/16" tips and 4' of reflex. Seems like the string is putting a lot of pulling (horizontal,flat pressure) when trying to get the first bracing. I never thought about epoxy not holding but maybe I squezed all the glue from the joint when clamping with vicegrips. Alll sugestions welcome.   Kenneth
May all of your moments afield with bow in hand please and satisfy you.            G. Fred Asbell

Offline DanaM

Re: glue for overlays?
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2009, 01:56:02 pm »
Kenneth I've used TB3 and superglue with good results.
I think 2 part epoxy does better with a rough surface.
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline GregB

• Greg Bagwell
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2009, 01:59:05 pm »
Kenneth,
I've been using TBIII on my inlays with no problems. Make sure both surfaces are completely flat and I've been cleaning them off with alcohol. Glue both surfaces and c-clamp. Usually let it dry at least overnight before I do anything further to it. :)
Greg

A rich person can be poor monetarily, the best things in life are free...

Offline adb

« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2009, 02:18:20 pm »
Epoxy will work fine. Both surfaces must be dead flat, and clean. I usually use my belt sander to true both surfaces before glue up. I've also used TB3 and superglue for overlays, and have had 0 failures.

Offline Little John

« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2009, 02:21:50 pm »
OK guys thanks for the help, I will try again.   Kenneth
May all of your moments afield with bow in hand please and satisfy you.            G. Fred Asbell