Author Topic: Question about ERC design.  (Read 2472 times)

Offline ricktrojanowski

• Worlds Greatest Deer Repellent
Question about ERC design.
« on: February 10, 2009, 09:37:00 pm »
I think I am going to start an ERC longbow.  I have a super clean stave with no knots on the back.  I want to sinew back it anyway just for the experience and to make it a little snappier.  The stave naturally has a little deflex.  So I figured the sinew would induce some reflex.  I like the contrast between the sapwood and heartwood so I want to leave some sapwood.  My question is how much?  and since it is being backed do I need to follow one ring?  Does 60" tip to tip. 1 1/2" at the fades to 1/2" at the tips sound good for a 50+/- # bow at 26" sound about right.
Traverse City, MI

330bull

Re: Question about ERC design.
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2009, 10:06:12 pm »
Hi Rick,

Dude if you have access to ERC, I'd be willing to trade some primo staves for one or five.   ;)  Seriously though, I think it's also time to start on that piece of Yew I gave you for your birthday.

Joe

Offline ricktrojanowski

« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2009, 10:15:53 pm »
Joe
I was going to give the Yew a go.  But I would rather practice on this cedar.  I love that Yew too much to screw it up.  I might have some cedar staves in the future.  It all depends on my ability to cut some where I shouldn't really be cutting some. ;)  I keep saying I'm going to go cut but things keep coming up.  I'll let you know.

Rick
Traverse City, MI

Offline knightd

• www.primalneedarchery.com
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2009, 10:17:23 pm »
Rick how thick is the sap wood??

Offline ricktrojanowski

« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2009, 10:20:49 pm »
David-
The sapwood is about 3/8" thick at the ends.  I have not reduced it at all so it may be thicker or thinner in the center?  I was going to rough out the width to get a better idea of the thickness.
Traverse City, MI