Author Topic: bow strings  (Read 6564 times)

chuckcolas

bow strings
« on: February 25, 2009, 12:04:28 am »
Howdy all.  I want to make my own bow strings, how do I get started?  I would like to learn how to make good ones to use all the time, as well as prmitive ones to use for rendezvous and things. 
   Is linen good for primitive strings?   What about artificial sinew?   Real sinew would be the best I guess or rawhide.  I do have some rawhide, and I think that would be pretty authentic.  Anyhow, just like some advice.   Thanks,  Chuck

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: bow strings
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2009, 12:14:27 am »
There is a DVD available through our sponsors called "Doing The Twist". It is a how to for string making. Chad Weaver put it out and does an excellent job explaining and showing the ins and outs of Flemish twist string making.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline TRACY

« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2009, 10:41:18 am »
Like Pat said. Great instructional by Chad and Joe. I felt like I was sweating the whole time because they made the dvd on the hottest day of the year.
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956

Stringman

« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2009, 02:35:06 pm »
I live in central IL. and have a great supply of chest high stinging Nettle "itchweed" annually. I have heard people say and use milkweek hemp and of course flax, but I prefer nettle because it is local, easy to harvest, tall, and makes incredibly strong strings. The principles to twisting it up are basically the same for all of it, but you can learn it a lot faster by watching someone than by reading a book. Good luck with the dvd.

d:^)

Offline Barrage

« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2009, 03:23:43 pm »
Sam Harper has a really good Flemish string build along with lots of pictures and really good explanations.  Google Sam Harper and you should be able to find his website.  Otherwise I think I have it saved somewhere so you can let me know and I could send it to you if I still have it.
Travis

coyote pup

« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2009, 04:04:17 pm »
Stringman, I'm glad you say the stinging nettle works, because I have access to a bunch of it and it would be nice to know it is good for something besides stinging legs in the summer while trying to get to the edge of the creek  :D

How and when does one harvest the stingin nettle? And is it tough to keep them cared for once made (i.e. how do they fare with moisture and wear?)

Thanks,
C.P.

Offline huntertrapper

« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2009, 06:05:58 pm »
ive never made a bowstring, but that nettle is some strong stuff
Modern Day Tramp

Offline Jmilbrandt

« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2009, 12:47:42 am »
Rawhide and sinew both make great strings. I'm no to sure about linen never tried it. But if the artificial sinew your talking about is nylon it will not make a good string. It is very strong but stretches and stretches and unlike natural string material it won't take a permenant stretch. Nylon makes a horrible bow string.
SW Utah

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2009, 10:41:43 am »
For a true primitive string for a replica or rendezvous, I think sinew, gut, or rawhide are the way to go-it's what was on the vast majority of Native American bows. Very few old bows have plant-fiber strings on them. I wouldn't consider linen to be a primitive string material unless you grow the flax and process/cord it yourself. If I'm gonna buy something on a spool from a factory, it'll be dacron or FF. I use B-50 dacron for most of my strings. Artificial sinew is just waxed nylon string, and it's very stretchy. I've made a few strings from it, but dacron is much better IMO. Strings are easy to make once you initially get it figured out. You don't need all the jigs and stuff to make Flemish strings, either. I like a Flemish string with a braided loop at one end and a timber hitch at the other.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline jamie

• born again pagan ,dirt worshipping heathen
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2009, 08:14:13 pm »
like hillbilly said.
and on a side note. stinging nettle is also very nutritious and delicious. gather the tops when young and they are great steamed. can also be dried and used for a great tea.
"Man is a tool-using animal. Without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all."

waterbury, ct

Stringman

« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2009, 06:40:51 pm »
Hey Coyote pup, I'll pm ya.