Author Topic: tiller stick question  (Read 4270 times)

Offline ken bee

tiller stick question
« on: February 09, 2009, 06:42:52 pm »
im confused about where to put the stick, at arrow rest @ knock point or at top or center of grip and center of string the reason i ask i use board with lines across and one down center depending on stick position tiller changes i just dont want to make a mistake its one of my faves also my arrow rest is center knock 3/8above thanks for all the advice i can use

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
Re: tiller stick question
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2009, 06:55:08 pm »
I don't use a tillering stick. A tillering tree is much safer, Right George..  ;) But I put the center of the handle on the pressure point then use a little positive tiller.
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2009, 06:00:38 am »
I use a tiller stick,until I get it to first brace ,I also put it in the center and pos. tiller.
After I get it to first brace I go to the tiller tree and center it the same way. :) By the
way Justin/George I have had them blow on a tiller tree also and that wasn't to safe either. ;) ;D
No matter what you use ,you need to be prepaired to run or dodge. ;D
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline GregB

• Greg Bagwell
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2009, 08:44:04 am »
Just a suggestion if you decide to use a tillering board...try and keep the time your bow is stressed at a minimum. We use about a 4" or so straight edge on the belly side looking for flat spots that we mark with a pencil. Do this as quickly as possible then release the string from the board. You'll also be able to judge the balance between the limbs quickly...and like Pappy said, work your way to brace height and then go to the tillering tree.
Greg

A rich person can be poor monetarily, the best things in life are free...

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2009, 09:32:57 am »
By the way Justin/George I have had them blow on a tiller tree also and that wasn't to safe either. ;) ;D
No matter what you use ,you need to be prepaired to run or dodge. ;D
   Pappy
Im slow so I need the rope length head start.  :o
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2009, 10:03:44 am »
 ;D ;D ;D
  Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2009, 10:17:45 am »
"im confused about where to put the stick,..." :)
I'll take the high road today. LOL.
Like Justin I use a rope and pulley and pull from the center. I tiller the bottom limb stiffer. When I reach full draw I draw in front of a mirror or in front of an open window at night. My neighbors already think I'm daft anyway. Not that going out at 12 AM to shoot in the driveway has anything to do with it. God bless them. They are understanding people.
I also check tiller with my digi. The ancients had other bowyers around to help assess tiller. I really don't.
I tried asking my wife to help but when I told her to watch as I drew and look to see if the bottom limb was slightly stiffer. All I got was blank looks This is a highly intelligent lady. She had 2 B+'s in college. The rest where A's. Assessing tiller is not an easy thing for a non bowyer to do. So using a digi is like having another bowyer around. Me. LOL.
I aim for the bottom limb to be about 1/4 inch stiffer than the top.
Then when I go out and shoot it I can tell immediately if the limbs are bending evenly by feeling the handle pressure and the tippiness of the bow.
Jawge

Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline bigcountry

« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2009, 11:53:02 am »
I don't use a tillering stick. A tillering tree is much safer, Right George..  ;) But I put the center of the handle on the pressure point then use a little positive tiller.

I am starting to think I should use the tree more over the tiller stick.  Maybe use the stick up to half the draw and after that, use the tree.
Westminster, MD

Offline adb

« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2009, 06:54:18 pm »
I've always used a tiller tree, with rope and pulley system, so I can step back and watch the bow limbs working. I'm not interested in getting clonked on the head either. I also rest the bow on the tiller tree at it's balance point, and then use positive tiller for the top limb. To be perfectly honest, I've never owned or used a tiller stick. I think statically bracing the bow at any draw length will cause an increase in set, and I try not to leave the bow at full draw any longer than I have to.

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2009, 07:25:15 pm »
I use a tiller stick but not a tree.  I've broken some bows on the stick but haven't gotten clobbered.  However, I used to tiller my bows by drawing them and looking in a mirror...and got clobbered pretty good once.

Personally, I don't worry too much about leaving the bow on the stick for a minute while I back away and take a look.  I don't usually pull my bows to full draw on the stick anymore anyway.

To answer your question, I always place the bow's arrow pass directly on the centerline of the tiller stick.  The place where I nock my arrow on the string is also placed on the centerline of the stick.  Positive tiller is good, but if it confuses you, skip it.
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr