Author Topic: hey new guy here  (Read 4290 times)

Offline fred45

hey new guy here
« on: February 08, 2009, 06:48:16 pm »
Hi, sorry to jump in with some questions right off the bat.
anyone in SW MO?
I have a real large red oak that was hit by lightning it did not burn but the bark is gone and the bottom is rotted, will this affect the wood for bows, the tree guy said it is unsellable.

Offline DanaM

Re: hey new guy here
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2009, 07:24:43 pm »
Welcome to PA fred, the tree could make a bow but it could also kill you when cutting it down. Lightning struck
trees can be full of cracks that will give way without warning. Go to Lowes and but a red oak board for $5 :)
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2009, 07:29:36 pm »
How long has it been dead? If it's been awhile, probably not any good. I've cut several lightning-struck trees, and like Dana said, they are often fractured up and can do wierd stuff when you stick a saw in them. Would be some good mojo, though if the wood is still sound.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline fred45

« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2009, 01:09:00 pm »
it is not dead yet, it is only mostly dead!

gutpile

« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2009, 01:31:14 pm »
the Indians say wood touched by the creator makes the best bows..I believe them..gut

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2009, 06:21:08 pm »
Only mostly dead?  I am sure Max the Miracle Worker could help you with it.  Watching out for six fingered bowyers. 
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Westbound

« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2009, 07:06:36 pm »
Only mostly dead?  I am sure Max the Miracle Worker could help you with it.  Watching out for six fingered bowyers. 

Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die.

Offline hawkbow

• High Country Archer
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2009, 08:08:13 pm »
 ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;Dswords at high noon...or was it tomohawks >:D
IT IS BETTER TO LOSE WITH HONOR. THAN TO WIN THROUGH DECEPTION...

Mike "Hawk" Huston

Offline dragonman

• virabows.co.uk
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2009, 06:08:11 pm »
I agree with gutpile there will be some special magic in that wood, but I woulod still check that the wood looked sound
'expansion and compression'.. the secret of life is to balance these two opposing forces.......

Offline Sparrow

• Who shot cock robin ? I said the sparrow.
    • Dream Fish Charters
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2009, 01:56:21 am »
I'm thinking that if you got 6 foot of sound wood thats fairly straight,you probably got some bow wood. Good luck !   Frank
Frank (The Sparrow) Pataha, Washington

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2009, 06:18:24 am »
Might be some good medicine but I am with Dana,I have cut some lighting struck and please be extra careful,it will hurt you and I mean quick.If it has tension on it and you hit it with a saw
it will split like you hit it with a wedge,sometimes from top to bottom.Folks around here that cut timber for a living won't touch a lighting struck tree,to unpredictable.No after saying all of that if you are like me you will probably cut it anyway  ;) :) so once I got it on the ground I would make a quickie ,mini bow and give it a bend test if it holds good then go for it. If it hasn't dry roted it should be fine. Good luck with it. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline DanaM

« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2009, 07:17:34 am »
Magic in a lightning struck tree eh, might as well soak it in salt water and have a buffalo pee on it too :o >:D ;) :D

How much tree cutting experience do you have fred? If the answer is little to none I wouldn't attempt it as I can't
 see that getting killed is worth some wood.
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI