Author Topic: Cane question  (Read 5045 times)

Offline GregB

• Greg Bagwell
Cane question
« on: February 05, 2009, 08:35:51 am »
I'm working on some tonkin cane arrows right now...have them pretty straight, just tweaking a little. My question is the tonkin I have is smaller diameter then the local river cane I've used, but the cane is more solid core then the river cane. I'm a little concerned about the nock end being large enough diameter to allow a strong nock. Eddie has used a lot of tonkin and said he has never had a problem, just wraps in front of the nock. I plan to do that and also will probably put a small dowel in prior to cutting the slot. I'm wondering if it might be better to cut a short nock, say no more then 1/4" so that the thin sides may not flex potentially as much as a deeper notch would.

Any suggestions? I don't want to put plastic nocks on...I'll cut some out of osage and glue them in before I'll put on plastic. :)
Greg

A rich person can be poor monetarily, the best things in life are free...

Offline stringstretcher

• Traditionalarcherycommunitysite.com
Re: Cane question
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2009, 08:40:34 am »
Greg.  I have tonkin cane arrows that a 5/16 point is to big for the point.  This makes the nock end very small.  I have cut self nocks in all of mine, and wrapped the nock in good and then covered the thread with super glue.  Have not had any problem with nock failure.  Some of the side of my nock are only about 1/16 or so thick. Tonkin is some tuff stuff

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2009, 08:45:23 am »
 Greg, when I get home I'll post some pictures of some Tonkin nocks.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline GregB

• Greg Bagwell
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2009, 08:52:12 am »
Okay Eddie, sounds like I don't really need to worry about it. I'm making these for our buddy Jesse, don't want him to get hurt shooting an arrow I made. That didn't come out just right, I don't want Jesse to get hurt regardless of the reason! ;D
Greg

Offline DanaM

« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2009, 08:58:11 am »
No need to plug the end either, I just cut my nock in  :)
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline TRACY

« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2009, 09:12:26 am »
Greg, I'm on that learning curve w/ the big bale of tonkin and have just wrapped the front of the self nock w/ sinew and haven't had any issues yet. I agree, some of them get rather small at the nock end while having a 60lb spine. It is definitely tough and durable.

Tracy
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956

Offline n2everythg

« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2009, 10:06:28 am »
I got these from the xmas trade. check out how Cara did the knocks at the nodes. you gotta look close but think you can tell that the knock is right at the node. think I might do up some this way. I like it. If you dont already have the cane cut might be a good way to go.

wade
N2
East Coast of Nowhere

Offline ricktrojanowski

• Worlds Greatest Deer Repellent
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2009, 06:15:19 am »
Greg
I am a newbie with the tonkin.  For what it is worth, for the self nocks that I did.  I put them right by the node and kept them on the short side.  More than enough to grab the string but not overly long.  I did plug the nock end with a piece of bamboo skewer(Knight D told me about that trick)  Then I wrapped with dogbane.  So far so good.
Traverse City, MI

Offline GregB

• Greg Bagwell
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2009, 08:37:47 am »
Thanks for all the suggestions and information. I feel better about the durability of tonkin... ;)
Greg

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2009, 11:00:56 am »
With a good wrap, 5/16" nock ends will support a self nock. You could also add small strips of wood on either side of the cane to make an external( ???) nock. I've never done it but I have seen it done.
 Ionian(Nick) does this with wood arrows so I don't know why it wouldn't work for cane.   Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Cooper

• "I believe in … surprise"
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2009, 04:27:00 pm »
I uses tonkin arrows and I love it.
The nocks of these arrows have a diameter of about 17/64'' (6,7mm).
I plug them with a wooden or bamboo skewer, cut the self nock in and wrap it. No problems at all.

[attachment deleted by admin]
Niels Böttcher - "Cooper" (PA) = "Botjer" (FC+FA)
"If this day wasn't your friend it was your teacher …"

Offline welch2

• redneck heathen
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2009, 06:57:58 pm »
Those all look great . You can make a short hardwood insert if you are worried about it . I do it alot using dogwood twigs ,mostly because I like my nocks a bit bulb like .Helps with a pinch grip.

Ralph