Author Topic: New Idea?....maybe  (Read 3078 times)

whitewoodshunter

New Idea?....maybe
« on: February 03, 2009, 08:31:26 pm »
Heres my idea: Take 2, 1/4 thick  by 1 3/4 wide by 68 long pieces of wood and glue them together in a reflex/ deflex style. And tiller like a glass laminate or a pyramid style bow only removing wood from the sides of the bow and the belly side about 10 inches from the tips.The taper would be around 1 1/2 to 1/2 tips. Would this design work for a 50 lbs bow? What kind of wood would work best? Maple and cedar? Maple and maple?

Badbill

Re: New Idea?....maybe
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2009, 08:47:34 pm »
Glad you asked this question, I've been wondering the same thing, seeing how some of these companies make bows.  I was considering doing it myself with some bamboo lams.

whitewoodshunter

« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2009, 09:02:19 pm »
Yes I was also considering using bamboo, for an all bamboo bow.But I would have to order that, and don't know where to look. I have access to the woods I mentioned.

Offline 1/2primitive

• Bible believing Christian
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2009, 09:04:21 pm »
On the glass laminates, the lams are tapered to get proper tiller. If you did it with a pyramid design, you could probably work it out.
     Sean
Dallas/Fort Worth Tx.

whitewoodshunter

« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2009, 09:06:19 pm »
Would it work adding a power lam?

John B.

« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2009, 09:46:32 pm »
I'm thinking bamboo/bamboo or hickory/hickory.

Or how about boo/hic/boo? 

Badbill

« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2009, 12:16:05 am »
I know! The answer is a Ghost with hick ups! Was I right John B.? ;D

Offline Badger

« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2009, 03:40:23 am »
The only problem doing them that way is that the handle will pop off, 1/2" thick is not thick enough out of the fades either. You would need to use a power lam at least 1/4" thick under the handle section maybe 12" long. For that thickness i would keep the bow under 64", and you might get away with it. I do a lot of glue ups but normally just use a 3/4 thick for the belly and a 1/8" thick back, I trim the belly down before glue up leaving the handle 4/4" extending into the fades. pretty easy actually. Steve