Author Topic: Backing ?  (Read 2260 times)

darren1968

Backing ?
« on: January 22, 2009, 04:32:39 pm »
Hi, I`ve heard of ppl using various materials for backing bows. i wondered if the linen of a "linen bandage" as in a first aid bandage could be used to back a ash board longbow, i have noticed that it has a cross weave pattern of what i believe is cotton thread, the other alternative i have at hand is "drywall tape" but i don`t like the finish appearance. any suggestions on this one, anyone?
perhaps combining the two together with the linen bandage on top to hide the drywall tape?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Backing ?
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2009, 04:48:17 pm »
Go to GoodWill and get an old silk blouse or silk neck tie. Real linen or silk are both good backing materials. I believe the bandage will be a loose weave material that is intended to breath. Too loose for a good backing.  Brown grocery bag paper makes a good backing also.   Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Kegan

« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2009, 05:28:14 pm »
I like cotton. The mid-thickness, tight weave matieral you'd see in older table cloths. They have a nice feel and are pretty cheap. Alot easier to find too :).

Offline ravenbeak

• Pacific Yew Wood
    • Ravenbeak Natureworks
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2009, 07:05:35 pm »
I picked up a roll of silk ribbon from a fabric shop.  2" wide by 50 feet long i believe.  10 bucks,  and well worth it
Custom Yew Bows,  and bow making workshops
www.ravenbeak.com