Author Topic: Degreasing Osage Question  (Read 2644 times)

OsageBender

Degreasing Osage Question
« on: January 20, 2009, 05:19:31 pm »
 I planning to put a sinew backing on an osage stave I have been whittling on these past few weeks, and would like to know how you go about prepping the back, and degreasing prior to laying down the first coarse of sinew.  I have read some articals lately about how people have had the sinew pull up if using acetone, and actually claim that the acetone draws the oils in the wood to the surface.  Any thoughts??

Offline Badger

Re: Degreasing Osage Question
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2009, 05:25:11 pm »
 I don't think degreasing is needed just make sure you sand the surface, maybe 100 grit not too fine. If osage is sanded too smooth the sinew will pull up, I had finsih sanded one down to about 600 grit and as an aftrthought sinewed the bow, it pulled right up, also the bow had been handled so proably had hand oils on it. But just a clean dry sanded finish works fine. Steve

Offline chesjen

« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2009, 09:03:23 pm »
I've used acetone with good results. As steve said you need to rough up surface or it wont matter if you degrease or not it lifts, at least has for me.
"Some sweet Day"  Polk County NC

Offline PeteC

« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2009, 09:11:19 pm »
Osage bender,I've never had any trouble using acetone to degrease osage,or any wood ,for that matter.I generally wipe it down good,even a scrub.Scratch it up with 60 grit paper,wipe it again.Let it dry,then glue.I've never had anything come apart using this method. God Bless
What you believe determines how you behave., Pete Clayton, Whitehouse ,Texas

Offline uwe

« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2009, 12:36:20 pm »
Haven`t had any problems with acethone. The sinew is still on the back. I`ve also used woodashes with water as the Natives did, even still good results. When I`m very lazy , I have already used brakecleaner in a spraycan. Press the button and the liquid will wash away the oil. The breakcleaners moist will evaporate soon. Thats an advantage to the ashes/ water method. Even this is a good method.
Regards Uwe