Author Topic: hickory bow question  (Read 3691 times)

Offline Dave 55

hickory bow question
« on: January 14, 2009, 09:44:02 am »
Hey guys I have a question on a hickoty bow Im building,I cut through the back down to the 2nd ring ,about the size of a dime 1/3 back from the nock,id like to get away without backing it,what do you think,it is toward the middle doesnt run off to the side.Thanks for any help Dave.
Now is the good old days

Offline Auggie

• redneck engineer
Re: hickory bow question
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2009, 09:50:26 am »
What are the specs of the bow?
laugh. its good for ya

Offline TRACY

« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2009, 09:52:43 am »
I think I follow you, any pics?

Tracy
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956

Offline Dave 55

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2009, 10:50:33 am »
No i dont have any pics,havent figured that one out Im not real computer literate,the species is hickory,cut through the top ring removing the cadmium in the center of the back,a spot about the size of a dime,went down to the 2nd ring,Dave
Now is the good old days

Offline Auggie

• redneck engineer
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2009, 11:22:54 am »
Sorry, by specs I meant  the length of the bow and its draw inches and the poundage. If this violation is near the tip it could be patched with limb tips or a wrap, or the bow could be shortened(piked)to remedy the violation.Piking would increase the poundage of the bow also. So if pix arent available try to describe the area to your best. ;)
laugh. its good for ya

Offline Dave 55

« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2009, 11:47:52 am »
Auggie,the bow is 2 inches wide at the fades,1/2 inch at the nocks and 66 inches long the effected area is 1/3 the way up from the nock about the size of a dime,went through the back to the 2nd ring,I have the belly down to wher it is starting to bend,hope this helps,Dave.
Now is the good old days

Offline DanaM

« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2009, 12:58:26 pm »
To be on the safe side I would back the bow linen, silk or rawhide. Another option is to wrap the area with silk thread and soak it in superglue
wrap the other limb to match. Good luck eh :)
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

coyote pup

« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2009, 01:04:58 pm »
Glad to see another friend of the hickory bow. You could wrap it as was said, or back it. Both are good options, but if neither appeal to you, do what I would do, which is scrape it on down to the 2nd ring the whole length. This way, no backing, and no wrapping-pure hickory wood. This of course, will not be an option if you already have the bow worked down so far that it would reduce your poundage.

Offline TRACY

« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2009, 01:12:25 pm »
It sounds like it's in the working part of the limb. I would consider a sinew patch and wrap to be on the safe side. Like Dana, match the other limb with the same look. Chasing a ring on hickory is hard work but can and has been done as another option.

Good luck, Tracy
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956

Offline Dave 55

« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2009, 02:15:36 pm »
Thanks for the information guys.
Now is the good old days