Author Topic: cambium removal  (Read 4217 times)

Offline sailordad

cambium removal
« on: January 13, 2009, 11:00:34 pm »
    hi everyone ;D

i got this really nice hick stave from one of the nice folks on here,thanks again.

i really like the texture of the back of hick self bows and i do like the looks of the cambium on it also.
however this stave has some really thick spots that fill in the mice little gullies on the back.
i spent about an hour and half on it tonight trying to reduce the amount of cambium. i have been using  a pocket knife so that i could get into the gullies some what.
this is goinf to take a month of sundays doing like this.
so my question to all of you are   " is there an easier way to remove the cambium"

thanks for the input and here are a couple of pics

i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline Coo-wah-chobee

Re: cambium removal
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2009, 11:24:35 pm »
 Soak it inhot water er put it in the shower. Thats ifn ya gonna dry it out again. Otherwise toast the camb carefully over a fire and scrape. The key word here is CAREFULLY. Good luck...............bob

Offline sailordad

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2009, 11:30:29 pm »
   thanks bob,
 i think since its -20* tonight and  a high of -4* tomorrow and 2.5 ft of snow on the ground i will go with the shower method.
the wife will think i am nuts when she sees me take that in there with me tomorrow :o

i'm thinking it probably wont take real long in this dry air here for it to dry again,but just to be safe i will put it in the hot box for a few days afterwards.

thanks again

peace,
                                                                                     tim
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2009, 01:13:13 am »
cut hickory during the growing season! ;D
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

AKAPK

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2009, 03:46:31 am »
I just used a flake of Obsidean ,It only took a half hour,I didn't push down to hard . I also dampened a sponge and rubbed a bit didn't want to saturate my hickory Holmy
I notice that scraping in both directions shreds the cambium faster, then I used the scrubber lighly on the back of the sponge after the sponge was dry. of coarse I did leave a little Cambium. :)

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2009, 08:07:15 am »
It don't bother Me....thats why I don't always take the Bark off....I like the Cambium....plus I am lazy....it's easier to spray them for Bugs....and peel em when you need em!! Only thing I try to strip Bark on is Locust and Hedge....and I get lazy there too...... ::)
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline GregB

• Greg Bagwell
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2009, 08:20:41 am »
Some rougher sand paper folded and using the edges should get into those recessed area's...
Greg

A rich person can be poor monetarily, the best things in life are free...

John B.

« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2009, 10:33:45 am »
I think it looks great just the way it is.   8)

And in my book, Hickory and water don't mix.  I'd never put a Hickory stave in the shower.  YMMV.

Offline Dave 55

« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2009, 10:44:45 am »
You are about right on the month of Sundays,I took mine down with a draw knife and piece of glass and ended up going down to the 2nd ring in one spot,would have been better of leaving some of the cadmium.
Now is the good old days

Offline DanaM

« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2009, 01:00:21 pm »
Tim all I ever use some 150 grat sandpaper and a dullish scrapper.
Hope that stave works out for ya, yell when you want to try a hard maple eh ;)
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline TRACY

« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2009, 01:18:36 pm »
I use the small end of the goose neck scraper if I've got one w/ a few valleys on the back. I generally like the camo effect of the partially removed cambium layer like AKAPK has shown.

Tracy
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956

Offline Dean Marlow

« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2009, 01:32:21 pm »
I like the looks of it the way it is. Before I would take a chance and cut a ring I would leave it like it is. Dean

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2009, 01:44:40 pm »
As hard as it is to get hickory dry, the last thing I would do is soak it in water. It usually scrapes off fairly easily for me.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.