Author Topic: What a beautiful bunch of arrows......  (Read 4591 times)

Offline islandpiper

• "Just one more bow, OK?"
What a beautiful bunch of arrows......
« on: January 10, 2009, 09:16:50 pm »
It somehow seems strange that the postman, the same fellow who brings the electric bill and tax statement, could bring me a long box today from Dana.   Inside were a whole family of wonderful new arrows.  There were cedar shafts from 3 Rivers, and some natural shoots and some cane......all finished and marked and fletched with natural turkey.  Some were plastic nocked and some were self-nocks......all are beautiful and straight and so nicely made and finished.   Well, you can tell i'm about breathless just looking at them.   After work I managed to take one of each out back and shoot a couple of rounds with two different bows. 

There was one VERY SPECIAL arrow.  Truly a "medicine arrow" to be cherished and shown off and bragged on at every opportunity.   It is a shoot, decorated with a wood burning point, fletched with two whole feather sections, back to back, and pointed with a wonderful stone point.   dang........you are good!!

Well, the three I tried shot great.  I have been using nothing but 3 Rivers economy youth practice arrows.   These babies, now, that's a different story.  They really carry........straight and true, and talk about hitting power!!   Well, I'm glad the shop wall is heavy plywood.  One miss of the target and i'd buried an arrow 2" into the ply.  Yes, it came back out with no damage. 

Dana......what can I say......you are an artist and a fine craftsman.  Our Indian, and English, and Scottish and Mongol ancestors would be proud to sit and make arrows with you!!   

These are really fine.........I'm overwhelmed.   I'll try to post pics ASAP unless you have some you want to pop in here first.  I'll get your display unit(s) on the way PDQ.   

Wow.

Piper
« Last Edit: January 10, 2009, 09:20:09 pm by islandpiper »

Offline islandpiper

Re: What a beautiful bunch of arrows......
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2009, 11:00:54 pm »
OK, here's some pics.........great arrows: 

piper

Offline Little John

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2009, 03:28:42 am »
wow what a fine haul. You must have been very nice all year. Enjoy .    Kenneth
May all of your moments afield with bow in hand please and satisfy you.            G. Fred Asbell

Offline DanaM

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2009, 06:26:03 am »
Dang Keith with praise like that my head done swelled up :D I'm glad you like them and that they shoot good for ya.
The set considts of 12 sitka spruce with plastic nocks and hand ground and cut turkey feathers, 4 red osier shoots that I
burnt a spiral pattern into flethched with turkey and wrapped with silk, 5 rivercane fletched with turkey and silk wrapped.

The medicine arrow is a sourwood shoot from PatB, turkey secondary 2 fletch tied on with sinew, obsidian point that Justin chipped set in
pine pitch and sinew wrapped, snake skin crest the skin is from Sawfiler, shaft is decorated with wood burnings, I didn't shoot this one so I
have no idea how well it shoots, with an obsidian point I wouldn't recommend any practice shots :o

I had them all packaged up then remembered I didn't take any pictures ::)
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline islandpiper

« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2009, 08:56:27 am »
Dana, AND I GUESS EVERYONE ELSE, with a rundown of players like that i feel like you all were in my living room last night.........wow,Dana, sawfiler, justin, PatB.......your work and materials will have a place of honor on my shop wall along with what we call the "permanant collection" of antique and special instruments.  When i get it hung up I'll post a pic here.   Thanks y'all.  Piper

Offline Cromm

« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2009, 06:38:08 pm »
Very,Very Nice!!!!
Great Britain.
Home of the Longbowman.