Author Topic: Remember when you first started?  (Read 19579 times)

Offline dismount

Re: Remember when you first started?
« Reply #60 on: January 06, 2009, 08:14:02 pm »
Short story here, 2003 at woolaroc rendevous, watched primitive bow shoots and everybody was havin' great fun. I didn't like archery. flinters was my game. But someone had a beautiful osage bow for 70.00 so I bought it. It started talking to me, It said "don't you remember dad having you split those osage trees for fence posts? You used to make a bow with cotton string when you were bored on the farm. What happened? I got to thinking what have I got to lose to try and make a bow? I felt a primitive pull that I get when fixing or shooting my flintlock except this was a lot stronger. Is this something engrained in our genes, that just needs atrigger bring it to concious thinking? Yuk, too philosophical, but kinda true I guess. It's all about personal challenges since we as a people don't seem to have these days, so its an outlet for me to be primevil.   dismount

Offline Auggie

• redneck engineer
« Reply #61 on: January 06, 2009, 08:18:35 pm »
Yep,but now I know what they meant when they said there is a fine line between a hobby and mental instability.
laugh. its good for ya

Offline Hickoryswitch

« Reply #62 on: January 06, 2009, 08:26:21 pm »
Well just so everyone knows I'm the best at breaking bows. I can break em all, glass, wheels, and wood it don't matter. So I figured I'd at least try keep up with my destruction. I have been in love with archery since I was a child. Makes me feel like a kid again, just like shootin the sapling bows dad used to make for me so I could shoot with him.
Wayne Silverthorn

Offline Dane

« Reply #63 on: January 07, 2009, 10:58:52 am »
I feel kind of out of place here sometimes, but there are common threads that connect us all.

There are a thousand stories from the naked city...

I grew up in LA, did some camping and fishing with my dad, but that was the extent of the outdoor life for me growing up. I actually hated camping back then, and so opted out of joining the Boy Scouts, etc. (I was a heck of a great Cub Scout, however, and made some of the best sandcast candles and plaster of paris neckerchief slides you could ask for). Then and now, hunting is not in me, and I doubt I can ever actually go out and attempt to kill a deer or even a rabbit. Not that I dont love eating meat (and venison is my very favorite), and find nothing wrong with ethical, compassionate hunting, but I know my limitations, and that is a big one.

Years late, I got involved in living history, US Civil War, and loved then as now old weapons, the more ancient the better. I joined the US Army as an infantryman so I could play with some really neat toys, and sometimes still regret not staying in for 20. I had damaged my leg too badly to remain in the combat arms, and so I got out and went to college.

Years later, having moved to Western Massachusetts, I saw the first volumen of the TBB in a favorite bookstore. After picking it up and promptly breaking my first attempt (a Holmgaard), I went to a Ren fair with my wife. This guy was selling badly made red oak "long bows," but they were cheap fun, and I shot that for a while. I decided I wanted a real longbow, but no way could I afford the prices I was seeing, and knew too that I didn't really have the knowledge to understand how to tell the junk from the good stuff.

Thus, I picked up the other 2 (at the time) TBBs and got to work. This was about 2 or 3 years ago. I found out that the ELB was not the only kind of bow out there, and began gravitating toward the ancient European flat bows and other designs.

And that led me in other directions. The atlatl is one, and so is the hand and staff sling (yeah, not archery, but I never would have discovered these things any other way). Primitive painting and pigments is another interest, as is Asiatic composite bows. Paelo skills are yet another area to explore and discover.

And for the last year and a half, I've been captivated by Greek and Roman torsion and tension artillary. This has caused me to learn traditional jointry and other woodworking skills, expanded my range of hand and power tools, gotten into bronze casting and limited metal working such as hand riveting, and it has been an amazing trip. Right now, I have a new hand held catapult I am working on, and definately my best work to date. This little machine is based on Vitruvian's principles (dont worry, I wont go into it now!), and is an oversprung machine that will shoot an 7.5" arrow with far more force than can be produced by a hand bow. "Sharp Little Teeth" / "Denticula Acres" will have curved arms and will be plated entirely in steel and brass around the spring frame. Once it is done, I will start a new thread and show anyone interested the entire process from design through testing. The frame you see has 16 mortise and tenon joints, and challenged my chiseling skills to the max.

And that is where I am now in this strange and wonderful journy.  I have a number of bow projects in different states of completion, and will get to them eventually. Why rush? The building process is the best part of making bows and all the rest. 

Dane

[attachment deleted by admin]
Greenfield, Western Massachusetts

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #64 on: January 07, 2009, 11:43:33 am »
Cool story,thanks for sharing Dane. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

roofus

« Reply #65 on: January 07, 2009, 12:22:19 pm »
Started building bows as a kid in South Missouri out of Hickory saplings and leather boot strings and twig arrows with duct tape heads and vulture feathers. I was surrounded by hundreds of acres of Oak, Walnut, Hedge Apple (Osage), Ash, Hickory, Cedar, etc... I had no Idea what I was in the middle of.

I am enjoying renewing my old love for wood bows and I can't say thank you enough for all the help you guys on this sight are willing to give. Hope I get good and learn so I can it on myself someday. Discipleship so to speak.

Thanks,

Rob