Author Topic: Dead osage bow, or is it?  (Read 4839 times)

Offline dismount

Dead osage bow, or is it?
« on: January 03, 2009, 12:20:41 am »
I was going to start the new year off right and practice shooting stance new years day, and the third shot she exploded, the tip just missing me with that ice pick end :o :o  This is the only bow I have that's not made by me and I hate to lose it. The bow is 4 yrs. old by the date on the side, and I started looking down the back and saw He did'nt follow the grain. It is a billet bow, The break happened at a lifted splinter I fixed 2yrs. ago with rawhide and glue but NOT good enough. Could I saw the bad billet off and splice in a new? The lower limb grain is real wavy but he cut it to a straight taper. I'm looking at the bow with different eyeballs My question; Is this worth saving or will the lower limb fail also. I don't want another close call.  Thanks, Phil

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline sailordad

Re: Dead osage bow, or is it?
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2009, 12:36:50 am »
carefull,a guy could loose an eye with something like that
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2009, 01:27:04 am »
Yes. Save the good limb and find a mate. I believe Gary Davis gave Pappy a bow that is half locust and half yew...or something like that.
   Sorry you lost your bow. Got you attention didn't it!  :o   Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline islandpiper

• "Just one more bow, OK?"
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2009, 08:35:25 am »
This is a good start to a take down bow.  Or, a spring-pole wood lathe.  Or, an automatic shop door closer. 

Last week when i started really pulling on my new, first, osage I didn't trust it.  So, I held the bow string stiff armed out in front and pulled the bow handle back.   Then, if it popped the chunks wouldn't hit my face (just my left wrist where all the arteries are). 

I have been putting off shooting with goggles on.   I do it without question at the pistol range.  Your picture has moved me a step closer to putting them on along with the tabs and arm guard. 

Glad you got away unharmed when this happened.

piper

Offline uwe

« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2009, 08:45:59 am »
I once had a broken osage. I made an experiment. I glued it, made a hornbelly and a sinewbacking. Its still alive.

Offline dismount

« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2009, 10:55:04 am »
Yes, Pat I was at full attention. I stood for a min. to see if anything was sticking out of me. The lower limb poked me in the gut. Piper, the funny thing was I've shot it for 4yrs, and it's all o.k. till that one time...... I might give the bow to someone else to try, and not push my luck.   Thanks guys, Phil

Offline DanaM

« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2009, 11:04:10 am »
Sorry for your loss :'(

The remaining limb can be spliced to another or it will make a good walking stick or a high end tomatoe pole :D
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2009, 11:37:16 am »
Never throw a good limb away. When you cut off the bad limb make sure you cut it where it tapers to the fades so you have plenty to make a 4" handle after the splice is finished.

The first on I tried I actually cut the bow in two at the center handle with out thinking.

Here are several pictures of the last one I did.

Bad limb cut off.

Splice layout

checking fit

glued up

Add a little more to the handle

finished handle

Offline Okie

• Bear Creek Selfbows
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2009, 08:02:16 pm »
Phil, bring that up in Feb. I have a short piece of sage I've been wanting to do something with. We'll see if we can make a match.
Glad you didn't get hurt.
Take a kid huntin' (If not who'll drag your deer out when you get old)
<---------<<<Founding Member Oklahoma Selfbow Society>>>-----------> Vice President OSS

Offline dismount

« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2009, 12:32:09 am »
Eric, how do you guys cut such awesome joints, mine stink on Ice. Guess I just need to practice! Great Pics, Im going to review those photos next billet bow I do.  Okie, Let me know when in Feb. and I'll throw it in the truck.  Thanks for all the condolences everbody, When I came in with the busted bow my wife said "what did you do that for"  Thought I would try some far eastern method of osage acupuncture, but chickened out at the last minute ;D ;D     Phil

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2009, 11:08:33 am »
Actually the fit was pretty awful on that splice. I tweaked the cut here and there and ended up heating the spliced ends with my heat gun and clamping them together without glue to get a good fit. Splice cutting is an iffy proposition for me, some come out perfect, some need a lot of belt sander adjustment to go together just right.

I do flatten the belly side of the good limb so it will go through the bandsaw without any wobble.

Offline dragonman

• virabows.co.uk
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2009, 12:10:47 pm »
I have had 2 exploded bows,and they where quite a shock, bad luck, or good luck, that the tip missed you!!! I never thought to save the good limb though, good idea I hope it works.   

good joints are made by taking you time and going slow , the only secret.
'expansion and compression'.. the secret of life is to balance these two opposing forces.......