Author Topic: Holmegaard Bow Design  (Read 9201 times)

Offline TheWildCat

Holmegaard Bow Design
« on: January 03, 2009, 11:39:54 am »
Holmegaard Bow

I know some of y'all have had some experience in buildin the Holmegaard bow. So I got a question. I have read as much as I can bout the original, and different opinions of the design. I have looked at the pictures of the orignal, or what I believe is the original (http://www.archerymuseum.org/holm.htm). When I look at this picture and the light reflections on it, I notice what appears to me to be a Concave grove along the bows length, all the way out to the tip. I don't know in fact ifin this is the Back of the bow or the Belly? If it is a concave groove, I have read nothin about it or if it would affect the bows tiller. I believe it is the Belly of the bow. I think it must affect the tiller. Am I mis-interpretin this picture? Would a groove affect the tiller? Please look at the picture and give me your opinions!!!

TheWildCat  :-\
"Ifin it Ain't Pork...It Ain't BBQ!!!

TheWildCat

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Holmegaard Bow Design
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2009, 11:46:19 am »
The groove seem to be centered down the bow. Could it be where an early growth ring was but deteriorated or separated in the bog? Just a thought.  ???    Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Little John

« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2009, 02:00:02 pm »
Guess I don't see what you are talking about but thanks for posting the link.    Kenneth
May all of your moments afield with bow in hand please and satisfy you.            G. Fred Asbell

Offline TheWildCat

« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2009, 02:19:24 pm »
That is very possible Pat. Didn't think bout that one. I sure would like to get a good close look at that rascal!!!

TheWildCat
"Ifin it Ain't Pork...It Ain't BBQ!!!

TheWildCat

CutNShoot

« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2009, 12:43:30 pm »
If I'm not mistaking the ones found were made with the pith of early wood split as the back. That would explain the center grove. I'm no historian but I read that somewhere but never tried it. ;D