Author Topic: new bowyer question  (Read 2725 times)

jamesddavis73

new bowyer question
« on: December 29, 2008, 10:10:54 pm »
Guys,

I am fairly new at bow building, and I am currently working on an Osage stave that has come up too thin in the handle area.  I am wanting a bow that does not bend in the handle, but I only have 3/4" left, now that I am down to the desired growth ring.  Should I glue on a block of wood to finish out the riser, or switch to a bend in the handle design?  I have ruined a pair of staves by pushing forward too fast, and I wanted to take my time on this one.  Thanks for any help.

James

Offline sulphur

Re: new bowyer question
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2008, 11:01:27 pm »
james ran into the same problem on a stave i bought on ebay once.  your total limb thickness will probably be .5" or less so 3/4 should be ok for a rigid handle.  i did glue on several thin laminates to make my riser.  turned out ok, but its never had my full confidence.  of course its your call, nothing wrong with a bend in the handle osage. i would show a pic but i haven't figured out how to do that on this site, yet.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline sulphur

« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2008, 11:02:43 pm »
guess i did know how after all.

Offline sulphur

« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2008, 11:16:59 pm »
a little bit wider limb will enable you to make a a thinner limb also that way you can be sure it won;t bend in the handle area.

Offline dismount

« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2008, 11:50:16 pm »
Mr. Davis, what poundage are you shooting for? (no pun intended!) I've made a few that are 3/4 thick at the handle and they barely bend in the handle and seem to shoot good. Kinda half bend and half ridgid. Dismount

jamesddavis73

« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2009, 01:17:36 pm »
Guys,

Thanks for the advice.  As far as poundage, I am shooting for a minimum of 45# and a maximum of 60#.  I have shot compunds in the low 60's for the past twenty years, and I am uncertain what poundage that I will shoot the most accurately, once all the gadgets and reduced poundage at full draw are gone.  Traditional archery has always been something that I wanted to try, and when I discovered all of the information on primitive archery that was out there, I have become hooked.

James

Offline dragonman

• virabows.co.uk
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2009, 01:47:49 pm »
should be no problem to glue on a riser, if you dont want the handle to bend
'expansion and compression'.. the secret of life is to balance these two opposing forces.......