Author Topic: getting started  (Read 2627 times)

troutbum76

getting started
« on: January 04, 2009, 09:43:15 pm »
Would like to give flint knapping a try and just wondered what the basics i need to get started are? Bopper? Antler Billet? Pressure flaker? Ishi stick? Just want the basics to start out with, can add more later. Of course I need rock and wondered if possible to procure my own with out ordering? I live in Arkansas and know there is lot of wilderness around here. Is it possible to make my own tools? What is the best stone to start out with? I believe that I have seen that there is some kind of gathering in lower MO and would like to attend to get some hands on instruction. I think this primitive thing is getting under my skin. ;D

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
Re: getting started
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2009, 09:56:56 pm »
 A good video will answer most of your questions. There are a lot of good ones on You-Tube.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline xin

« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2009, 10:19:23 pm »
The best knapping material for a beginner , novaculite, is in the mountains and streams around Hot Springs.  ;You can either make your own tools, see u tube as  Mullett suggested  or buy them.  The best tips for knapping are also on U tube, see paleoknapperjim and marty reuters.

Offline billy

« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2009, 01:32:48 am »
If ya wanna get started, I'd suggest making arrowpoints out of the bottoms of big beer and wine bottles as long as they're somewhat flat.  That way you don't have to worry about trying to find stone.  Learn the basics on glass, then apply that to stone later on. I've made some wicked points out of glass that are really sharp.  They'll definitely do the job.
Marietta, Georgia