Author Topic: Hey Y'all  (Read 7027 times)

Texas Pete

Re: Hey Y'all
« Reply #15 on: December 31, 2008, 10:46:17 pm »
   Wheeeew! For a minute I thought it was "That time of the Month", again. Tex, like hillbilly said, just wet the skins down so they are soft. I then squirt some TB3 on my hand and smooth it on the skin and then lay it on the bow. After I smooth out all the bubbles I like to wrap it lightly with an Ace bandage. After it is dry, just trim it with a razor blade and coat it with Poly or whatever to make it durable.

Thanks mullet.  I can get TB3 at my local Home Depot

Happy New Year everyone!

Offline sailordad

« Reply #16 on: January 01, 2009, 12:23:44 am »
personally i dont like the "f" word, i am here becuase it is primitive.
never even thought about making a "f" bow myself,heck ya can buy them anywhere even wal-mart.
cant but these just any where and i am to cheap to pay for something i can do myself jm2cw
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Texas Pete

« Reply #17 on: January 01, 2009, 08:24:14 am »
Understand sailordad

Again, I simply asked a question, and I had the materials at hand.

I actually found a roll of artificial sinew that I'm going to use to back the bow, then I'm going to put the snakeskin backing on.

Thanks for your two cents worth

Offline Dane

« Reply #18 on: January 01, 2009, 09:35:33 am »
Hi Texas. These little scuffles are all part of this game, don't let it bum you out. One day, thousands of years from now, fiberglass will be primitive, and then you can feel free to post bows here made with fiberglass.

Keep in mind artificial sinew is not real sinew, and doesn't have that stretchiness. Lot of folks like using rawhide to back bows, and linen fabric is popular. Just avoid blends if you can. I plan to try horse hair one day to back a bow, and I think flax fibers have been used as well.

Happy new year.

Dane 
Greenfield, Western Massachusetts

Texas Pete

« Reply #19 on: January 01, 2009, 10:27:43 am »
Hi Texas. These little scuffles are all part of this game, don't let it bum you out. One day, thousands of years from now, fiberglass will be primitive, and then you can feel free to post bows here made with fiberglass.

Keep in mind artificial sinew is not real sinew, and doesn't have that stretchiness. Lot of folks like using rawhide to back bows, and linen fabric is popular. Just avoid blends if you can. I plan to try horse hair one day to back a bow, and I think flax fibers have been used as well.

Happy new year.

Dane 

Hi Dane,

You're right' one day FG will be "Primitive".  Whats really scary is that 30 years from now Rap Music will be "Golden Oldies"  ;D

These little scuffles aren't what bothers me.  As a moderator on another board what bothers me is "Over-Moderation".  Seems the only scuffles I get into on this board are from the powers-that-be.

While on that subject; Mods, Admins; can we lock this thread down and simply move on?

Thanks again and Happy New Year

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #20 on: January 01, 2009, 11:06:16 am »
Pete, I don't know if I would try the artificial sinew, it's waxed pretty heavily and probably won't stick too good with most glues. As for the over-moderation, the only moderation we seem to have to do (which is very seldom) often involves the same tiny handful of people who seem to be unable to post without constantly intentionally skirting the posted rules for seemingly no other purpose than to start arguments or see what they can get away with. After losing several good members who don't like to argue, we don't have much patience with it. The rules six months ago are the same ones we have now and will next year. If you leave because you're angry at us for enforcing one of these rules, then on your first post when you come back you ignore another one, well, maybe that's the source of scuffles with the "powers that be". 99% of the members on here never have a scuffle with the "powers that be" because they're here to discuss primitive archery with other people, not to test the limits of "the powers that be."

Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Texas Pete

« Reply #21 on: January 01, 2009, 11:13:03 am »
Pete, I don't know if I would try the artificial sinew, it's waxed pretty heavily and probably won't stick too good with most glues. As for the over-moderation, the only moderation we seem to have to do (which is very seldom) often involves the same tiny handful of people who seem to be unable to post without constantly intentionally skirting the posted rules for seemingly no other purpose than to start arguments or see what they can get away with. After losing several good members who don't like to argue, we don't have much patience with it. The rules six months ago are the same ones we have now and will next year. If you leave because you're angry at us for enforcing one of these rules, then on your first post when you come back you ignore another one, well, maybe that's the source of scuffles with the "powers that be". 99% of the members on here never have a scuffle with the "powers that be" because they're here to discuss primitive archery with other people, not to test the limits of "the powers that be."

Again, Hillbilly, I didnt start the post to "Test the powers that be".  I simply asked a question and was jumped on.  I tried to take it in stride, but Others simply couldnt let it lie, which is why I asked the thread to be locked down.

I've got another avenue for the backing under the snake skin I'm going to try.  If it's successful, I'll post some pics

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #22 on: January 01, 2009, 11:19:37 am »
What kind of wood is your bow? It may not need a backing at all, most just dampen the snakeskin and glue it down to the bare wood. We would like to see pics, you can't post too many pics. I'll go ahead and lock this down, then.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.