Author Topic: tiller/overlay help  (Read 3654 times)

Offline Postman

tiller/overlay help
« on: December 22, 2008, 11:57:40 am »
this is one I'm close on, 58" NTN, drawing about 45# at 20" with a 2" braced string. Had some natural "flip" at the top (Left) i'm gonna try to match at the bottom. Hopin' for 65# or so at 28".

Questions:

-Are the tips bending too much for overlays, and/or is it too short a stave to do them?

-general tiller critique? tried to leave the tips and fades stiff to this point like many on here have suggested.

-any other observations? Please be frank  ;D trying to kick this one up a notch from my previous efforts.

BTW, the tiller tree is a brace for a ladder stand I drilled and viced.Very handy and sturdy. I typically use the scale to check weight and exercise the bow by hand - makes for a good workout!

Thanks,and have a Cool Yule!
Postman

[attachment deleted by admin]
"Leave the gun....Take the cannoli"

John Poster -  Western VA

Offline stiknstring

Re: tiller/overlay help
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2008, 12:05:10 pm »
I would get that inner third of each limb working before I worried about overlays...but I am new at this and am only making a guesstimate to see if I know what I am talking about

Offline PeteC

« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2008, 12:14:40 pm »
Lookin' real good.I agree with stiknstring,get the inner thirds workin'.From the pic,I see no reason not to go ahead with your tip overlays too.  Merry Christmas ,and God Bless
What you believe determines how you behave., Pete Clayton, Whitehouse ,Texas

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2008, 12:19:56 pm »
I agree that the inner limbs need to bend more. I would probably also try to get it up closer to normal brace height if you're already pulling it 20". As for the overlays, go for it-you can put overlays on any length or configuration of bow as far as I know.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline DanaM

« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2008, 12:38:16 pm »
Yup get it bending in the inner third and stay off the mid limb and leave the last six inches(tips) alone. Can add overlays anytime.
Actually I'm guessing once you get the inner limbs bending your going to be at or close to your 28" DL
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline Keenan

« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2008, 12:42:20 pm »
 Postman, Great advice already given.  To take a bow of 58" NTN to 28" requires as much limb bending as possible. If you look at the picture you can see how much of the handle is still stiff and (non-bending). I would not remove anymore wood at all from the mid or outer limbs. Work on the inner and get it bending as close to the fades as possible if your going for 28" draw. I would also heat temper the mid limbs to stiffen them up a bit. If they are bending that much at 45# you may not make 65# without causing a hinge. Heat treating the belly into a slight reflex may help a little. And for the 28" draw on a 58" bow you should also flip the tips slightly to help with string angle.
  I know I threw allot of advice out there, you asked for us to be frank. so this is what I would do if it were mine. I've made several 58 inchers ;)

Offline Postman

« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2008, 01:27:41 pm »
Thanks guys - I'll give er all i got!
"Leave the gun....Take the cannoli"

John Poster -  Western VA

Offline koan

• Brian D. Mo.
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2008, 03:30:04 pm »
I think Keenan on the ball here, good advice....Brian
When you complement a lady on her dress.....make sure she is the one wearing it.....

Offline ZanderPommo

« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2008, 04:27:24 pm »
can you post a braced pic?
from my angle it looks to have a set back handle area, but its hard to tell

Zander

Offline GregB

• Greg Bagwell
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2008, 04:43:25 pm »
I agree with what's been said already, get the bow bending more out of the fades, go ahead and brace it, and you can do the tip overlays after tillering if you want. :)
Greg

A rich person can be poor monetarily, the best things in life are free...