Author Topic: Simple D bow  (Read 4851 times)

bd

Simple D bow
« on: December 07, 2008, 02:27:59 pm »
I was looking at one of the articles on a simple D bow 48" with a side nock on each side. From what I read in the article it appears to be just what I am looking for in a hunting bow. I wondered if anyone here had made that bow and how they liked it. I have access to a lot of osage trees here and the article states it is a small diameter so I have a few questions on the process if anyone has made this type of bow. I'm new here so any help is greatly appreciated.

Offline PeteC

Re: Simple D bow
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2008, 02:55:27 pm »
bd,check out the picture of my son in law,his deer,and 48" D-bow in the shooting and hunting board.It's probably on page 2 or 3 by now.It's a silk-backed osage D-bow,48" tip to tip,50# @ 25".He glued on a piece of osage for the arrow shelf,and the handle is built up with leather,but it all bends.It's very smooth to shoot,and punched through the opposite shoulder on his deer. Hope this helps. God Bless
  Matter of fact I'll post it;

[attachment deleted by admin]
What you believe determines how you behave., Pete Clayton, Whitehouse ,Texas

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2008, 03:05:43 pm »
Sure. D bows are relatively easy to make. If tillered to only bend slightly in the handle they won't shock. They can also be pretty quick. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

bd

« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2008, 03:36:54 pm »
that's the bow. I've only made board bows thus far. What are the demensions on the bow and what size sapling should you start with. I will combine tree hunting on my next trip out to the woods.

thanks

Offline George Tsoukalas

« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2008, 11:29:01 pm »
Boards, logs, saplings will all make D bows. Dims depend on your draw length, and the wood you are using.
Here are some sapling directions.
"My first shooter was made from a sapling bow. It is possible to use osage and I made one from an osage sucker but osage is best with a heartwood back. What other trees do you have. Anyother hardwoods? Oak, ash, hickory are good choices. Look for a sapling 2-3 inches and free of limbs.. Pick out the best side for the back. Marking 2 magic marker lines to delineate back from front would help. Remove the belly wood with a hatchet.Remove the bark and tiller the bow. See Bowmaking Directions on my site. Leave the stave a few inches longer. What's your draw? "
http://georgeandjoni.home.comcast.net/~georgeandjoni/
Set Happens!

Offline benjamin

« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2008, 11:31:50 pm »
I must've built one right at 48'' inches at some point, most of mine are around 40'' or 54'' and unbacked. I've only just lately been able to cut my own trees and I preffer 4-6'' diamiter trunks. My D bows are between 1 1/4'' to 1 1/2'' wide to midlimb then tapering to tips between 1/2'' inch and 1/2 the width of midlimb. (1/2'' -3/4''). I make them as thin as possible without bending. One of my recent inovations is heat treating a very slight recurve about 6-8'' from the tips then tillering so that the last half of the limb looks straight. It helps string angle while at the same time letting the whole limb work. It also helps me make sure my outer limbs are as massless as they can be for added speed. This is my favorite design now.  Hope it helps.

bd

« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2008, 11:27:29 am »
My draw is 29 inches but i am also making some for the different family members. It seems after this hunting season most of my kids and grandkids are interested in arhery now.
I have a saw mill pretty close that has some hickory and red oak boards. I did go out last night and cut a hickory but it seems my eye isn;t as good as I thought. It was pretty wavy when i got the bark off and actually started lookinng at it. I probably shoudl make the first from a board and back it. I weasn;t sure you could get one that short using a board.

Offline PeteC

« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2008, 04:27:07 pm »
bd,my son in law's bow is 1 1/4" at the widest point,and tapers evenly to 3/8" tips.But,it's only tillered to 25". I'm sure osage would handle the 29" draw,but ,it will set quite a bit. If your just starting out,I would build one a little longer ,say a little over 60".It'll still be very manageable to hunt with,but a whole lot more limb to bend,as your getting the feel of tillering.Just my 2 cents. Check out George's site as mentioned above,it'll help you get going. God Bless
What you believe determines how you behave., Pete Clayton, Whitehouse ,Texas

Offline OldBow

• I'm just an old retired biology teacher.
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2008, 08:14:17 pm »
Hey PeteC's son-in-law...Good Job :)
When you're retired, every day is Saturday

bd

« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2008, 09:12:48 pm »
Thanks for the layout on it. I've been looking at George's website also.
Got caught up in the bow measurements and forgot about the deer. Nice bow and deer.

appreciate it,

Offline George Tsoukalas

« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2008, 09:32:53 pm »
Pardon my lack of manners too. Way to go, Pete! :)Jawge
Set Happens!

Offline 1/2primitive

• Bible believing Christian
« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2008, 08:29:39 pm »
Yes! I love short D-bows. Very effective, fun, and easy.
For a 29" draw, I think it would be best to make it about 56-60" long.
Congrats, son-in-law of Pete's!
      Sean
Dallas/Fort Worth Tx.