Author Topic: a rowan shortbow.  (Read 5561 times)

a finnish native

a rowan shortbow.
« on: November 27, 2008, 12:41:13 pm »
I found this Rowan stave from a construction area that the city was working on, so I decided to save it. The stave was really curved, and this bow is from the deflexed side. The natural defex that the stave had was about 5". Now that I worked a bow out of it the bow has around 4½" of deflex. It reflexed it's self a bit guring the drying period. So basically the bow has ½" reflex compared to the original stave. no string follow at all.
The stave was a tricky one to tiller, hence all the natural curves that were real dramatic. So I followed the wood, and tillred it as I saw best. No chryshals, no splinters, no set. this is by far one of the best bow's I have made. I know it might not look so special to you, but I have a shortbow fetish  >:D. I also find them very pleasing to the eye.
The handle is wrapped with hemp and the bow is finished with cotton oil and beewax mixed with soil colour. I just call it red dirt. kinda like clay, but not quite.
Here are the specs: it's 42" NTN and draws 47#@20".
I had to keep the outer limbs a bit stiff to keep the string angle from being too big. It bends slightly from the handle and is a sweet shooter.
It's also decrowned.

[attachment deleted by admin]

a finnish native

Re: a rowan shortbow.
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2008, 12:42:08 pm »
more. Oops.. that one pic came in twice.

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: November 27, 2008, 12:45:17 pm by a finnish native »

Offline OldBow

• I'm just an old retired biology teacher.
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2008, 12:53:16 pm »
Got your truly primitive selfbow all bookmarked for Nov Self Bow of the Month.  Thanks for the post.
When you're retired, every day is Saturday

orcbow

« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2008, 12:18:49 am »
Nice work on that little bow. The full draw pic makes it work! Interesting, I'm working on a 42" long bow too. How is rowan? Hard or soft? It is not a native tree to Indiana, but my grandfather planted one in his yard as an ornamental.

Offline DanaM

« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2008, 05:57:49 am »
Very nice little bow finnish, congrtas on such a shorty eh :)
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

a finnish native

« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2008, 06:47:20 am »
compared to hickory, rowan is soft, but I would call it between soft and hard. you can make a noticable mark to the wood with you fingernail though.. From what wood are you making your shorty? if it has thin rings and a roundish belly, I would say decrown it. makes the back work wonders.
This rowan grew on the arctic circle, so I have no idea how the wood would be in India. Probably a lot bigger and with growth rings real thick. But if you live near the Himalaya it could be a different story. Could you post a picture of that tree?
DanaM: thanks! got plenty of snow in the UP?

Offline Jesse

« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2008, 11:45:42 am »
Great bow. Im always impressed when I see those shortys. Its dificult enough to make a long one without problems.Nice work! 
                                    Jesse
"If you can find a path with no obstacles, it probably doesn't lead anywhere."
    --Frank A. Clark

orcbow

« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2008, 11:04:35 am »
Finnish Native- I'm sorry, but you got my location wrong, I'm in Indiana, not India. It's a not very glamorous state in the USA. Most people who drive across the middle on their way to someplace else, remark about how boring and uninteresting it is. No snow topped mountains here!!  But we do have hardwood trees by the millions.....Great place to find lots of good bow woods. Many trees from other temperate places will grow here, but maybe not thrive, including Rowan.

a finnish native

« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2008, 12:25:10 pm »
doh! :-[ I was in such a hurry when I wrote that. I believe that Rowan in Indiana would make a fine bow, you should try.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2008, 01:01:20 pm »
Very nice job on a short piece.Well done. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline GregB

• Greg Bagwell
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2008, 02:01:38 pm »
That's a nice bow with good looking tiller. Good job on a challenging short bow.
Greg

A rich person can be poor monetarily, the best things in life are free...

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2008, 02:08:53 pm »
Cool 8)...I don't know what took so long for me to see this one?  Looks you did a good job with a challenging piece of wood.
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

a finnish native

« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2008, 08:00:47 pm »
Thanks guys. I'll have to see if I get the materials to make a set of arrows for this one. If so, I will use it to hunt with this winter. :)

Offline PatM

« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2008, 12:18:34 am »
American "Rowan" or Mountain Ash is actually native to many parts of the USA including Indiana.