Author Topic: tools and materials needed  (Read 2619 times)

schneider554

tools and materials needed
« on: November 18, 2008, 06:07:14 pm »
Hello,
I've gotten a buddy of mine to let me cut a hickory tree off of his property but before i do I'd like to know what I need to have on hand immediately after felling to ensure I'm not just wasting a good tree.  I've read about waxing the ends and using spray shelac after splitting.  I got the TBB volume 4 hoping it would have this info but now I see it's probably in volume 1. Also should I split it on site or can that wait until it seasons a little first.  I understand it will dry faster when split.  Thanks in advance for your answers.
Brian

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: tools and materials needed
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2008, 12:03:08 am »
Brian, How big is the tree? You should split it at least in half. If cut during the growing season the bark will peel right off and whats under it is your bow backs. Otherwise you work pretty hard getting the bark and cambium layer off. In the newest volume of Primitive Archer Magazine, Pappy had an article on building bows of hickory. Good info in there for you.    pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2008, 05:31:31 am »
I would cut it in the spring if you can wait,then split it in half,quarters if it is pretty big,then just peel the bark off and dry it off good.Then I seal the back and ends,some don't seal the back but I have had some check so it's not worth taking a chance.Then let it dry in a cool dry place for a month or 2 then cut one of the splits down to bow size and give it another few weeks.It will dry out pretty quick when cut to rough bow dimensions.Hope this helps. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

schneider554

« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2008, 11:55:44 am »
Thanks Guys,
Pat My buddies place is covered up with hickory so I have my pick.  I found several about 8" in diameter and was looking seriously at those it seems about average size of the smaller trees.  Pappy What do you use to seal the wood.  Gulf wax for the ends and shelac for the back and split edges?  I think I will wait till spring Before cutting the tree and spend winter squaring away tools.
Thanks again,
Brian

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2008, 12:20:07 pm »
Those will do fine,I don't seal the split edges.Never had a problem with them,just the ends and back.
      Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2008, 02:04:38 pm »
I use spray shellac to seal bows, backs and ends. The wax will work also as will carpenters glue. You want to keep the split sides un-sealed so the moisture has a place to escape.
  An 8" to 10" tree is a good size to work with without killing yourself. Anything over 2" in diameter will work for a bow. If you just have to cut some now, make it a smaller tree and save the bigger ones for the spring or early summer so the bark will slip. Pay close attention to the bark to be sure the tree isn't growing in a spiral. You will be able to see it in the bark.   Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

schneider554

« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2008, 10:28:40 pm »
Thanks again Pat and Pappy,  I'm going out tomorrow to see if I can find a smaller tree and will save the bigger ones for spring.
Thanks,
Brian