Author Topic: For Discussion: Recurve vs. Straight bow  (Read 25693 times)

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
Re: For Discussion: Recurve vs. Straight bow
« Reply #30 on: November 20, 2008, 08:38:25 am »
Stickbender, Perry reflex is basically when a core is pre-tillered enough to bend evenly, then glued up to a backing with even forced reflex. The glue line holds the reflex, and it also apparantly takes some of the compression stress from the belly. It's named after Dan Perry (an occasional poster here) who set some flight records with bows made this way.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline Badger

« Reply #31 on: November 20, 2008, 10:51:11 am »
    I feel a shootout brewing! 
                                                                           Predictions;
Classes, straight bows ( no reflex)   self or backed       176   182
           reflexed longbows, self or backed                   182   190
            recurves,  self or backed                               182    190
            elbs,  self or backed                                     172    180

Shot from a machine, 28" draw, 8 strands fastflight type string, 10 grs per pound arrows

Offline Mechslasher

« Reply #32 on: November 20, 2008, 11:38:21 am »
many here are classifying reflexed bows as straight bows.  i'm thinking the definitions should be better defined.  to me, a reflexed (perry) or an r/d bow is a type of recurve following the definition of bending the limbs forward wether it's the tips or the whole limb.  a working recurve or duo-flex (wilson recurve) is one of the fastest recurves followed by the static.  working recurves can be problematic because they have a tendency to pull out after a 1000 or more shots but store a great deal of energy because of their uncoiling effect.  the longer the statics, the more leaverage is applied equaling more speed if the tips are made correctly.  unfortunately, the longer the static to more difficult it becomes to line the tips up with the grip.  longbows or straight bows are easier to shoot because their very design is less critical of release.  r/d bows store a tremendous about of early energy and are a hybrid of both designs.  to me, their main drawback is that they are one of the most difficult designs to tiller properly.  on average i get between 15-20fps more from a recurve when compared to a straight bow at the same poundage.  i'm using some of the bows i've made in the past.  one is my favorite 3d bow.  it is a straight osage selfbow measuring 64" long and draws 55#@28".  it shoots a 600gr. arrows around 155-160fps.  my most efficient is a bamboo backed osage static that draws 52#@28".  it had 5" statics and shot the same arrow 172-175fps.  of course all of the above is my opinion but the numbers i got tell me all i need to know about bow designs.
"A liberal is someone who feels a great debt to his fellow man, which debt he proposes to pay off with your money." 

G. Gordon Liddy

Offline stickbender

« Reply #33 on: November 20, 2008, 01:42:17 pm »

Hillbilly;
     thanks for explaining that for me.  I keep hearing about it, but never knew what it was.

Wayne

AKAPK

« Reply #34 on: November 20, 2008, 03:04:52 pm »
I did forget to ask if the distance of draw would be the same for a straight as opposed to a recurve just seems to me that a recurve has less distance to Pull that string back.Hmm

tommy6

« Reply #35 on: November 20, 2008, 04:32:46 pm »
According to the experts, which I am not, Speed of an arrow is dependent on the speed of the string as it is dry fired. So a bow that returns to brace height from full draw will be faster. Also a lower brace height will propel arrows faster from an increase in energy transfer from string to arrow. Most flight bows are straight with super light tips allowing the fully drawn bow to snap back to brace height faster. A recurve  will usually have a higher brace height and relatively heavy tips, if you count the size of the recurved tips. Also flight bows shoot super light arrows. A flight bow shooting a standard 500g hunting arrow gives poor performance.
I think I read that in TTBB IV.

Offline Badger

« Reply #36 on: November 20, 2008, 07:32:09 pm »
      Mech, your recurve bow would have dome in the mid to high 180's with a 520 grain arrow. For the most part thats about the top of the chart, there may be an exceptional bow pop up here and there but thats basicaly about as fast as they get. I get about the same from my best r/d bows. About 184 being relatively common place. I use 2" reflex behind the handle. I don't like how skinny I have to make the tips to hit the 190 mark and am for the most part content to hit the 180's. Steve

Ranger B

« Reply #37 on: November 21, 2008, 06:19:13 am »
I went around and around on working or static recurve with my last osage.  The dilemma for me is that for a working recurve you have to have enough wood bent that it will work yet not lose its recurve over time.  As others have stated, thinner is better yet thinner bends more and will begin to lose its curve.  Where is that fine line between too much wood and not enough?  I think osage is the best bet since it holds the form best, but even my osage bows that are straight with the last 6" slightly flipped loose set over time.  A longer bow might be better since the ends won't have to work quite as much in at full draw.  I think nonbacked hickory or hackberry would definitely have a shot life span.

Offline DanaM

« Reply #38 on: November 21, 2008, 06:47:14 am »
Seems like in the end the performance between the two styles are fairly negligible, no doubt working recurves are a
thing of beauty, but if not executed perfectly they wouldn't be worth the effort. Static recurves would be easier it seems and also up
the performance and shootability in a short bow. This discussion also makes it apparent to me that just because
a bow has recurves it doesn't automatically make it a rocket launcher. Lots of variables to consider ???
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #39 on: November 21, 2008, 07:02:36 am »
I ant much into speed but I do flip the tip on most of my bows,it dose make them smoother to draw and seem not to stack as much as a straight bow of fairly short length.Say 58/60 witch is what most of mine are. Badger 180 would be great for me ,most of mine are in the 150s to low 160s.I think a lot of that is my short draw 25/26.I know I can see a lot of difference in the same weight bows
50@28 will defiantly shoot harder and I would guess faster than say 50@25 or 26.The recurves are sweet looking and shooting bows but for me to much trouble.I tend to overbuild most of my bow,I guess that comes from the early day of blowing most of the first ones up and just ant got over
that yet,don't know if I ever will. ;) ;D
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good