Author Topic: How I do recurves  (Read 10003 times)

Offline islandpiper

• "Just one more bow, OK?"
Re: How I do recurves
« Reply #15 on: October 10, 2008, 08:26:56 am »
Steve, i may just stick to the 0.9 MM stock   :)

piper

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #16 on: October 10, 2008, 08:31:33 am »
Thats a good question Gregg....I can see how it may give some support after the Bend is made ....but not during the Bend....if a Splinter comes up during the Bending ....I don't see how the Band would help.....maybe Steve can show Us that are hands on learners ....not ones that learn from Books....I cant visualize anything with out seeing it....have always been that way..... >:(
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline YewArcher

« Reply #17 on: October 10, 2008, 09:06:54 am »
hmmm....I think I understand what you guys are asking.

You make the bend with the strap. I do not have a bow ready to bend this morning so we will just pretend that this one is ready to bend. (Excuse the sweat I just got done with my work out and had to cath my wife for a photo before she left).

You make the bend with the strap. Grab the bow out of the pot, put it and the strap into the jig, then use preassure on the strap (not the bow) to bend the wood. Use oven mits or heavy gloves as the wood is very hot and will tranfer heat to the strap real quick.....ouch......I know that from experince as well.

Does that answer your question? Next time I do it i will video it.

Steve
« Last Edit: October 10, 2008, 09:10:22 am by YewArcher »

Offline YewArcher

« Reply #18 on: October 10, 2008, 09:09:55 am »
To elaborate......think of the starp as backing on the back of a bow. If you have a consistant materail that cannot break over the wood it cannot spliter. Most wood bends break because one little splinter raises and then its catastrope. The strap keeps the wood down and does not allow it to splinter while you are making the bend.

By the way guys, I am not knocking books or other sorces of info. I am knocking arm chair bowyers. I have been seeing allot of it latley on boards and its frustrating. I just wish that people would try the methods that they are sugesting prior to telling someone who has it under control how to " do things better". We have a few guys like that on these boards and its just agravating more then its helpfull.

Steve
« Last Edit: October 10, 2008, 09:25:57 am by YewArcher »

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #19 on: October 10, 2008, 11:07:25 am »
Steve, your way is easier and faster than mine.  I wrap the wood with jute twine before I steam and bend it.  The jute stays strong even when wet....but it takes time to wrap the wood.

I think I'll try boiling on the next stubborn dog leg or propeller twist.

I've seen the strap method used for bending wooden chair components.....but it's a little different than your set up.  The strap is anchored to the wood (on both sides of the strap) so the wood is deformed in compression only.  I think this difference might be confusing some people.
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline YewArcher

« Reply #20 on: October 10, 2008, 11:16:13 am »
Yar, Jute wrapped would work well too. Its all about getting the wood to stay down. Nice soft working recurves really dont even need straps as they are gentle. I use the strap method on static tips and small recurve tips that are severe. Its quick and easy. And I have never raised a splinter or had a crack SINCE doing it this way.

Ryano did a good video last year bending a working recurve. Maybe he can link to it again.

Steve

Offline GregB

• Greg Bagwell
« Reply #21 on: October 13, 2008, 08:46:21 am »
Thanks Steve,

That answered my question, I didn't know if you just held it by hand or had some other method you used.

Thanks!
Greg

A rich person can be poor monetarily, the best things in life are free...

Offline YewArcher

« Reply #22 on: November 18, 2008, 10:09:28 pm »
To The Top of the list for David and Graeme on the 5-Curve, Cupid Bow thred.

The Cupid bow on the other thred is actually laying on the table you can see it. The Osage bow that I am bending in my first post is exactly like the ash one......just not done yet.

Hope that helps you out. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have.

Steve