Author Topic: How to put on rawhide?  (Read 3916 times)

Offline Hickoryswitch

How to put on rawhide?
« on: November 19, 2008, 08:10:44 am »
Got a bow I want to back with rawhide but I don't know how exactly. Could someone kinda give me Ideas on what kinda glue to use. Also how long it should dry once finished. Just kinda a play by play and any tips yall have.

Thanks
          Wayne
Wayne Silverthorn

Offline shamus

Re: How to put on rawhide?
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2008, 08:22:12 am »
I've used Titebond II. Knox Gelatin (or hide glue) also works, but I prefer Titebond.

I don't  remember how long I let it dry. Maybe a week or more. No need to rush things.

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2008, 08:31:06 am »
Go with the Titebond....either 2 or 3 works great
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline DanaM

« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2008, 08:57:32 am »
Soak the rawhide to make it pliable when you glue it stretch it and clamp it at the tips and perhaps the handle.
When it dries it will shrink and actually add some small amount of reflex. Also may want to wrap it with an Ace bandage
while its drying.
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2008, 09:10:57 am »
I soak the rawhide till it is plyable then use TB3 on the back of the bow.I start at the handle and work my way to the tips,rapping with an ace bandage as I go,being sure to keep it in the middle
and not letting the rawhide slip up on the edge as I go.Then I leave it rapped a day and take it off and trim the edge.I do this with a fine file.I file along the edge very light till I can pull the ovelap off
just working my way down the limb.Then I give it about a week in the hot box or over a heater duct.Hope this helps. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2008, 09:37:15 am »
It is easier to put rawhide down in two pieces. Start at the handle, covering at least half of the handle area, and work out to the tip then go with the other. This can be done at one time or over 2 days. I would let it dry for a week but at this time of the year it might dry quicker. You will be able to feel the moisture that the wood has soaked up from the glue if you don't leave it long enough.   Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2008, 10:49:00 am »
"ditto" I've done it the same way. Two peices starting at the handle working out, wrap somewhere between light to firm with ace bandage - if you cinch it down too tight you'll see the wrap lines in the dry hide. Let dry a couple days and wrasp off the overhang then sand smooth. Oh, tight bond III worked fine for me..
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline Hickoryswitch

« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2008, 08:13:50 pm »
Thanks everyone. I'm pretty sure I can do it now. Now all I gotta do is order the rawhide and heat treat the belly.

Thanks
         Wayne
Wayne Silverthorn

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2008, 08:30:57 pm »
Heat treat it before you add the rawhide backing! :o
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline kayakfisher

« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2008, 08:42:32 pm »
Its pretty well been covered ,I soak till pliable squeegee off excess water .Titte bond 3 glue on bow back lay rawhide on wrap with ace bandage . when dry I use my drawknife run along edge to cut excess off.
                                    Dennis
The river of life twist and bends, you never know whats around the next bend till your there

Springfield Mo home of  Kids,Tomato's and Tornado's

Offline Hickoryswitch

« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2008, 10:31:48 pm »
Thanks Pat for the reminder. Thats what I was planning on doing since I've read a couple threads on people asking if they can heat treat a backed bow. I always am doin somethin dumb and would have forgotten completely till it was too late.
Wayne Silverthorn

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2008, 12:46:33 am »
We all watch out for each other. I've done some pretty stupid things myself.  Bending recurves in a bow and one went towards the back and one towards the belly. ::) Didn't notice until I stepped away from the form.   ;D