Author Topic: How have you evolved as a bowyer?  (Read 5472 times)

Offline Dane

Re: How have you evolved as a bowyer?
« Reply #15 on: November 17, 2008, 03:31:00 pm »
Those comments only pertain to Patrick. Disregard if you are not him. :) Patrick, take your meds. It says so in his chart, of course.

Orc, the more we know, the more we find we don't know. Once I learn some more, I will still be ignorant about much else. That is just how life is, I guess. But it can be a fun trip. Above all else, bow making should be fun.

Dane
Greenfield, Western Massachusetts

Offline Dax

« Reply #16 on: November 17, 2008, 08:48:36 pm »
Australopithicus Robustus.....sp????  That's me in a nutshell....can't make it past the first one, lol!!!

Offline Gordon

« Reply #17 on: November 17, 2008, 09:28:42 pm »
I find that over time I spend less and less time planing a bow (self bows anyway). I like to just begin working on a piece of wood and see where it takes me. The vine maple I'm currently working on is a good example. When I first cut into the stave I thought it might make a dandy stiiff handled R/D bow. Then as I worked the belly down, the wood started twisting and curling on me (as vine maple often does). I've moved the handle a couple of times, then cut the bow shorter, made it narrower and finally I took the handle down completely. Now it looks like I may end up with a kind of snakey bend-thru-the-handle stick with some natural reflex in the tips (if it holds). Maybe I'll back it with something nice or maybe not - depends how I feel when the time comes.

I'm always amazed at folks that can juggle multiple projects going at one time. The most I can manage is two or three bows. Once I get working on something I just hate to stop unless I need to let it cure or something. I guess I'll never be any good at mass producing these things  :D
Gordon