Author Topic: hmm a stick with a string on it  (Read 6314 times)

Offline michbowguy

Re: hmm a stick with a string on it
« Reply #15 on: October 19, 2008, 12:45:12 am »
is the !kung one of the click and clack languages?
cluck,tuck,sac,click ,clac,pht,tahng.....i heard a south african exchange student talk in some of these dialects and it was just amazing.
im not sure in the spelling but its pretty close to what they sounded out to be!

plus he had some pics of the bushman with their bows and arrows,and spears...
alot of the arrows were pretty small cane like with just a thin leather flight,the shaft was split down the center and wraped from further comming apart and the tips were cold forged steel with barbed points with lots of nicks and scrathes to hold the poison.
 the forged tip looked like a metal winged "wintu" point and they flared out greatly and was sharpened on both sides for it to just scratch the victim and the poison will do its work!

the shaft was used multipe times as the tip was a friction fit ,and was designed to fall off,they kept the rest in a hard bamboo type grass tube,for saftey.
the bow looked to me no longer than 36in long...if that.
and if theh archer drew the bow back with his right hand he canted the bow hard left and rested the arrow shaft atop his thumb and index finger shaped to form a "y",whilst holding the bow.
i remember the pics vividly.
he said that one of the reson for smaler bows is it just takes soo long for large trees to grow! as the animals keep the new buds and young trees clipped quite regulary,and the larger material was for shelter building, bridges.

Offline Keenan

« Reply #16 on: October 19, 2008, 12:51:01 am »
 Congratulations ;) Any bow that will shoot an arrow is something to be proud of. You'll get better and learn from each one, but don't miss the enjoyment and special feeling that comes from your first bow. There is something magical and addicting and like most of us you'll probably keep that first one for the rest of your life ;) Have a good time shooting

Shooter_G22

« Reply #17 on: October 19, 2008, 01:30:19 am »
first i have to say,  GOOD JOB!!!

its funny how a bow like that will bring out the instinct in a man...   that is the basic and if you get real good with shooting that one then when and if you do build or aquire another bow that might be better or heavier pull... then you should be a ok when your shooting it...

paracord is a great string to use for now...   i have used it myself for bows such as that one for my kids that i have been teaching to build a stick survival bow...  and i have one one a 35# fiberglass long bow that my little cousin found in my grandfathers shed after he passed away...
i know i should put a better string on that bow but my little cousin wont have it he likes the paracord and he likes the fact that its a military cord on his bow...

i also used the para cord for my long string for tillering and all the way through the building process until the bow was complete and then i went and bought a fast flight string...  cuase i havent started twisting my own string...

so dont look down on that paracord...  if its the military 550 with the braided cord and several smaller strands inside the outer braid then its good stuff...  if its the french military paracord also good but it is a little thicker braid and solid with no strands on the inside... also good just thicker...

either way para cord is awsome for a survival bow or even a good quility stick bow... it might have a little give to it but if you pull it tight to where the tension is out like you got on yours then its works just fine...  might give a little string follow so make sure you got something on your forarm to protct from slap... but it works and i use it too...

also if you let that bow dry out it will up the wieght and and give a little more snap to it...
and your bow is still soo wet and fresh that it wont go back to straight right off hand becuase it is wet soo next time if you let your limb dry up then it will help to go back to origanal shape...

devilfishsix

« Reply #18 on: October 19, 2008, 07:01:49 am »
i have to thank all of you for your kind words and support, i really didnt think it was as nice a bow as all that but now i feel even more endeared to it.
 I had planed on smoothing it doen some and letting her dry for i put a grip on it my bro is in england is planning oin sending me a string which ill use on my next bow as i plan to tidy this up and let my mom use it as she doenst set it past 25 lb it shoudl last longer, and she enjoed using it.
I am going to try and gather some green bamboo and make some arrows but i plan tin heads as i have no experience napping and am not handy with a grinder etc for steel ones though i can use tin snips and cut n fold a rough triangle from a tin and bind that in maybe my next ones wil look better and ill use grey geese feathers as we have geese here bind of woith red silk..
and once again thank you to all of ure comments help and words fo encouragment i am now hooked for life

jamie

« Reply #19 on: October 20, 2008, 06:24:22 am »
hazels a tough wood . ya let it set aside and dry and it'll get stronger. good job

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #20 on: October 20, 2008, 06:29:53 am »
Simple but effective.  :) Nice job.
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good