Author Topic: Linen/Flax fiber Backings  (Read 3340 times)

Offline David Long

• Only dead fish swim with the stream.
Linen/Flax fiber Backings
« on: October 20, 2008, 12:23:50 pm »
Baker really raves about these in TBB4 and elsewhere, but I don't see many bows backed with this stuff. Is anyone into them enough to provide the finer points of construction and real world performance? I'm talking about the fibers, as opposed to linen cloth. Dave
NW Montana

Online Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Linen/Flax fiber Backings
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2008, 05:18:06 pm »
I haven't used flax but I have read and heard about folks using it. You have to be careful because the fibers are very strong and don't stretch much. Too much flax can over power the belly of some of the less hard woods.    Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline koan

• Brian D. Mo.
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2008, 12:56:09 am »
Just flax backed the bow I built at the Classic 2 yrs ago(pin knots were raising suspiciously). Goes on easy with titebond 3 but it is strong enuff that it changed the tiller..prolly cuz I got it thick in spots?? I think I could sand off the wood and still have a bow ;)...Brian
When you complement a lady on her dress.....make sure she is the one wearing it.....

Offline AndrewS

« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2008, 07:21:59 am »
Just put it on like sinew! With hide-glue and only a small bundle of fibers everytime. Don't put to much on the backing! One or two layers are enough (with more layers you can easy overpower the belly of the most white wood).

Offline Sidewinder

« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2008, 02:19:56 am »
I think the reason most guys don't back the bows as miuch anymore is that there is normally no reason to on good wood, well desgned and I would'nt think about backing anything other than snake skins unless I was concerned about grain violation Having said that, If a guy does'nt mind his bow back looking like anything other than wood I think its a grand idea. I had thought about growing a little patch of it this year and just did'nt get around to planting it because I thought I may be moving. I think if that issue is settled by spring next year I will give it a go.  Danny
"You know a tree by the fruit it bears"   God