Author Topic: boo/hick r/d  (Read 7655 times)

Offline sailordad

Re: boo/hick r/d
« Reply #15 on: September 28, 2008, 09:19:40 pm »
ok so i havent done any more scraping as of yet.

ryano i did as you sugested and pulled a little on it, its pulling about 40lbs at 18 inches right now
i did have the wife take a pic to see what it looks like so far well here it is. let me know what ya'll think

thanks again

peace,
                                                                                tim
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline Ryano

• Ryan O'Sullivan, North Western Pennsylvania
« Reply #16 on: September 28, 2008, 09:30:15 pm »
I'd scrape where the red lines are.

[attachment deleted by admin]
Its November, I'm gone hunt'in.......
Osage is still better.....

Offline sailordad

« Reply #17 on: September 29, 2008, 06:51:05 pm »
so would i be right to assume then that the  outer limb area should bend in the same arc or very close to it as the inner limb are
does at full draw? ???

tim

Offline Jesse

« Reply #18 on: September 29, 2008, 10:08:49 pm »
I think you should end up with straight outer limbs. If you make it look like a normal tillered bow it might not perform as good as it could because outer limbs will be doing more than their share of the work.      Just my 1 1/2 cents :)         Jesse
"If you can find a path with no obstacles, it probably doesn't lead anywhere."
    --Frank A. Clark

Offline Ryano

« Reply #19 on: September 29, 2008, 10:41:58 pm »
How long is it? I'm guessing its pretty long and you'll end up with about straight outer limbs at your full draw. If it were shorter I'd get the outer limbs working even more Tim, but being hickory on the belly you might not want to tiller it to bend much passed straight in the outer limbs or you'll end up losing all your reflex. Hickory insn't a great choice for a belly wood, it takes to much set. Its a better tension wood than compression. Good luck to you.  :)

Offline sailordad

Re: boo/hick r/d (updated with some handshock )
« Reply #20 on: October 11, 2008, 12:26:18 pm »
ok so i been working ever so slowly on this,havent realy done any major scraping since i first posted it.
i do have it at  full draw,26" 51 lbs. shoots pretty quick(atleast i think it does).

however i do get some hand shock, im thinking i could and probably should reduce the tips some, they are curently .85" wide by .52" thick.
how much can/should i remove without it affecting the tiller or draw weight?

sorry for the blurry pics, i just got up and took them and im not very good at close ups,either in front of or behind the camera lol

thanks for looking and the input

peace,
                                                                                          tim

Offline Gordon

« Reply #21 on: October 11, 2008, 01:09:47 pm »
It looks pretty good to me - it seems like the reflexed outer limbs are opening up about right.
Gordon

Offline Ryano

« Reply #22 on: October 11, 2008, 01:16:31 pm »
Tim, your going to feel hand shock, you didn't get the outer limbs working enough. The top limb doesn't look to far off but the bottom is doing way to much bending in the inner limb area. I would expect that hickory to fret there in the inner limb area if you don't do something with it. That is if it hasn't already. Those stiff outer limbs are like long levers that have to travel farther and stop more abruptly than a bow tillered to bend more in the outer limbs....JMO. I'd tiller till you get a smooth arc in both limbs and maybe pike it to get some draw weight back.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2008, 01:21:05 pm by Ryano »

Offline OldBow

• I'm just an old retired biology teacher.
« Reply #23 on: October 11, 2008, 02:04:45 pm »
Nice job - Great candidate for Oct Laminate Bow of the Month.
When you're retired, every day is Saturday

Offline kayakfisher

« Reply #24 on: October 11, 2008, 02:11:44 pm »
I am with Ryana the lower limb looks a little off to me to, lookin good though
                                                                                        Dennis
The river of life twist and bends, you never know whats around the next bend till your there

Springfield Mo home of  Kids,Tomato's and Tornado's

Offline Gordon

« Reply #25 on: October 11, 2008, 02:15:17 pm »
After reading Ryan's post and looking at the picture again I have to agree that the inner lower limb is bending too much.
Gordon

Offline sailordad

« Reply #26 on: October 11, 2008, 04:44:55 pm »
alright thanks for the input

dont have a problem with piking it if need be,its got plenty of length.
the lower limb actually has a little positive tiller when just at brace,about 3/8ths of an inch.

if at all possible could you please identify the area that needs to be worked with red lines or something like to show me, i guess ive been looking at it too
long cause i dont see it, more eyes sure are nice when it comes to tillering.

could you also explain what is meant by "fretting" so i know what to look for.

peace,
                                                                                       tim