Author Topic: Rawhide backing  (Read 3932 times)

Offline adb

Rawhide backing
« on: September 18, 2008, 05:17:36 pm »
Hi, all
I've just finished a yew selfbow. It is a character bow, some knots, with whoops and curves in the sapwood. As a result, I was unable to chase a single growth ring on the sapwood back. It's 68" NTN, bendy handle, antler nocks, 56#@27". I have suitable rawhide to back it. What is everyone's opinion on whether I should, or not? Set is minimal, due to all the limbs working. I know there are mixed opinions on the importance of chasing a ring on the back. Rawhide or not?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Rawhide backing
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2008, 05:28:52 pm »
Raw hide isn't necessary but it won't hurt either. With yew, sapwood ring violations are n't all that bad. The wood can take it. Below is a pic of one of my hunting bows for this year. It is unbacked yew, plenty of grain violations(I wouldn't do this with any other wood) and pulls 47#@26" and is 64" t/t and has lots of character.       Pat

[attachment deleted by admin]
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Papa Matt

« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2008, 05:33:15 pm »
Pat,

What's your opinion on rawhide as a speed and cast robber?

~~Papa Matt

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2008, 05:36:24 pm »
Matt, Deer or goat raw hide are thin enough that you shouldn't notice much difference if any at all. I would only use it if needed and in that case I would take the loss of a foot or two per second over the alternative. ;D     Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Papa Matt

« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2008, 05:44:42 pm »
I guess that's the thinking of most, and it makes sense. What about this- is it not possible to glue the rawhide backing with the bow clamped in reflex, and thus add some reflex to the bow?

Offline ravenbeak

• Pacific Yew Wood
    • Ravenbeak Natureworks
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2008, 12:39:18 am »
Adb,

I've played around a bit with violating rings on the back of yew,   one bow in particular i filed through the sapwood into the heartwood in one spot and nothing,  it still bends gracefully as if nothing happened at all. 

personally i think backing is a last resort to save a bow from blowing,  and not worth the weight.  Unless you are trying to push the limits with short length or heavy recurve. 

just my 2 cents,  if it's still worth that.

and as always,  a couple pics would help us help you.

cheers,
Custom Yew Bows,  and bow making workshops
www.ravenbeak.com

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2008, 12:47:11 am »
Raven, I agree 100% with you. Backing only if needed! I am a self bow guy. 8) ;)   
  adb, a backing is only as good as the bow. Rawhide, cloth or paper backings won't hold a badly made bow together but it will help hold down a few mistakes or maladies in the wood.
  Matt, rawhide doesn't have what it takes to hold a bow in reflex. Maybe heavy rawhide but then the excess weight would defeat the purpose.         Pat

Offline Shaun

« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2008, 10:03:56 am »
My understanding is that rawhide backing on yew bows serves mostly to protect the soft sapwood from damage. Sapwood is very soft and easily dinged and scratched by normal knocking around in the field. Rawhide does not add reflex or add/subtract cast. It does make a much harder surface that can take bumps and bangs better.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2008, 10:05:41 am »
Good point Shaun!