Author Topic: making a warbow  (Read 5638 times)

growler1

making a warbow
« on: September 02, 2008, 02:23:27 pm »
I'm hoping to make a full compass bow soon, and I'm unaware of what wood to go with. I have read plenty of info on how to make bows, I just cant decide wether to make a self bow from Ash, or a doublle laminate bow.

Cheers

Offline adb

Re: making a warbow
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2008, 04:23:52 pm »
If I was yew...

triton

« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2008, 10:44:07 am »
wych elm wood yew choose?

Bowbound

« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2008, 05:22:30 pm »
Whatever you want! The self ash is more likely to break but you wouldn't waste any resources and the double laminate is the opposite. If you went for a double laminate i would probably use Ipe for the belly and bamboo or hickory for the back as i have seen these woods work well in a warbow. The Ipe is poisonous though so be careful using it and make sure you wear a dustmask.

If money wasn't a case definitely the double laminate, if it was then get experience on ash first.

Offline markinengland

« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2008, 06:05:22 pm »
Any bow wood will make a full compass bow. The draw weight, length and width may need altering to suit the piece of wood.
Ash or Elm would do the job, so would hickory. Find something that is reasonably good but not too expensive to ruin and have a go. All you need to do is get an even bend all along and you are finished!
Mark in England