Author Topic: Holmegaard question?  (Read 2593 times)

Offline stringstretcher

• Traditionalarcherycommunitysite.com
Holmegaard question?
« on: August 21, 2008, 01:38:13 pm »
Is it possible to make a holmegaard design bow glueing the non bending areas of the limb onto a flat board?  Maybe an osage slat with a bamboo backing and the handle and non working tips being glued on?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Holmegaard question?
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2008, 01:42:11 pm »
Holmgaard is a style of bow with lots of variations. You can do it the way you discribed but you can also make it without glueing on the added tip pieces. Basically a Holmgaard bow has a short, wide working area with long, narrow non working(or slightly working) tips.     Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2008, 01:45:29 pm »
Sounds like it should work to me. Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline bobnewboy

• https://www.flickr.com/photos/bob_d14/
    • The Company of Sixty Field Archers
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2008, 02:16:29 pm »
Good question Stringstretcher, as I'm am going to try one built up in the same way myself  ;D  I cant see a problem in doing it that way, and of course you can use a light wood at the non-bending portions.  I'll make mine with triangular pieces of light wood, so that the stiffness in the non-bending areas is as high as it can be, while keeping the weight as low as possible.  Just gotta get some spare time and get started...... :(

//Bob
"The Englishman takes great pride in his liberty. He values this gift more than all the joys of life, and would sacrifice everything to retain it. The populace would have you understand there is no country in the world where such perfect freedom can be enjoyed, as in England!" Frenchman, London 1719

Papa Matt

« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2008, 02:37:36 pm »
I'm new to the term Holmegaard and it's concept. What are the advantages/reasons for doing a bow up in the Holmegaard profile if you have wood that is non or barely working?

~~Matt

Offline sailordad

« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2008, 11:39:22 pm »
the non working sections of the limbs are big levers,they throw that sucker out there hard and fast
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

radius

« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2008, 11:45:17 pm »
also, with the outer portions of the limbs not bending, the bow doesn't really stack (string angle stays low) and therefore the entire draw is very smooth from start to finish