Author Topic: stone bows?  (Read 3925 times)

Offline bowmunky13

• eat more human
stone bows?
« on: August 11, 2008, 10:28:03 pm »
was reading in an archery encyclopedia and saw something called a pellet or stone bow.... anyone ever tried this type of bow? apparently there is a little space in the string that holds a leather pouche in which clay balls.... stones.... or steel balls are held. the bow is fired with a twisting motion to avoid hitting the hand or belly of the bow
death by natural causes

Offline james parker

• Global Moderator
    • huntworthyproductions
Re: stone bows?
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2008, 10:55:50 pm »
yes i have built a couple, there great untill one of the pellets or sinkers in my case strikes you on the hand,after that i didnt pursue very much farther............ouch

monkeyball

« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2008, 11:24:41 pm »
and then we smartened up and built the slingshot..............

Offline bowmunky13

• eat more human
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2008, 12:03:48 am »
tell me how ya did it... i am sure that the bow itself is standard... what did you do for the string?
death by natural causes

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2008, 12:29:01 am »
                            Are you Guys talking about the Crossbow with the Pouch for Shooting Rocks or Pellets!!!
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline adb

« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2008, 01:21:28 am »
Isn't there an ancient "stone bow" that has a hole in the handle to shoot rocks through?
« Last Edit: August 12, 2008, 10:39:04 am by adb »

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2008, 01:25:17 am »
yes i have built a couple, there great untill one of the pellets or sinkers in my case strikes you on the hand,after that i didnt pursue very much farther............ouch
That is funny. I have wanted to build one for a while, but I just cant get around the thought of hitting myself in the back of the hand with a rock.

Destructo, It is a regular bow, not a crossbow.   Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2008, 04:33:57 am »
THanks........but all I could find on it was this.........  http://www.thebeckoning.com/medieval/stonebow/about-sbow.html
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline DanaM

« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2008, 07:23:26 am »
Theres an article in PA on pellet bows, couldn't say which issue but its there.
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline The Burnt Hill Archer

• Potter County, Pennsylvania
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2008, 09:08:09 am »
there was a discussion about this a while back over on PP. quite a lengthy one as i remember, and a couple of pics.

Phil
stalk softly, and carry a bent stick.

orcbow

« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2008, 09:18:45 am »
The book "Crossbow" by Ralph Payne-Gallwey (you can search on Google Book Search for this) has quite a bit about pellet shooting crossbows. They were once quite common. Very much like BB gun of today, but they were used to hunt birds and other small game, to provide food.

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2008, 11:18:16 am »
Destructo, try Atarn for some info. Also search for pellet bow, not stone bow.  Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah