Author Topic: potassium permanganate  (Read 2812 times)

Offline Postman

potassium permanganate
« on: August 04, 2008, 11:18:05 pm »
FINALLY finished tillering  / shooting in my second osage for my nephew - 60" NTN 63# at 27#, assymetrical limbs. Followed the string a good bit, but it seems easier to shoot than my first effort at 56#....
Was going to do a potassium permanganate/stain and parrafin  /tung oil/  varnish finish a la torges' H.O.B.  book.....

Potassium permang. is now considered a hazardous material  ???- used to see it in the drugstores like the book says, but no more! >:(

At least they let me buy parrafin.... hopefully I wont get too crazy and make a candle or anything... ;D

If I scare any up, anybody ever do this method, or have an idea for a similar substitute that would work well under tung oil/varnish?  My nephew said he'd like a  dark "walnut gunstock" color, and I know he needs a low-maintenance finish.....

Will post pics as soon as she's painted up -
Thanks,
John
"Leave the gun....Take the cannoli"

John Poster -  Western VA

Offline DanaM

Re: potassium permanganate
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2008, 07:10:27 am »
Other than staining your skin for a month P.P. isn't to bad it is a pretty strong oxidizer and is often used in wastewater plants for odor control.
Its also used in home water treatment system to remove taste and odor. Check with a water softener business they should have it 1 lb containers.
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline Postman

« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2008, 12:15:33 pm »
Cool, thanks - gots some rubber gloves ;)

Offline tom sawyer

« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2008, 01:07:50 pm »
Permanganate is an oxidizer.  So is bleach.  I think you can get a similar color from rubbing a little bleach on osage.  Maybe not quite as dark, but it definitely gives it an aged brown look.
Lennie
Hannibal, MO

Offline knightd

• www.primalneedarchery.com
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2008, 03:58:32 pm »
Yep Ive used bleach same effect as P.P the more you rub it on the darker it gets well to certain degree..

David

Offline Postman

« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2008, 09:48:21 pm »
cool, thanks - Got ahold of some PP, still tweaking the bow a bit, got some fresh, experienced eyes on i that , noticed some tiiller flaws - Definitely recommend that tiller tool with the little pencil in it thats in  "HOW TO'S".....  anyone out there do the parrafin / tung/varnish  finish?