Author Topic: Tiller help  (Read 2848 times)

woody

Tiller help
« on: July 28, 2008, 06:10:18 pm »
Hi Everyone,

Any suggestions for correcting this limb twist in my static recurve.  Tiller looks o.k. to me, maybe a little stiff in the right limb near the handle…do you think that is causing the twist?

Sinew backed maple, by the way.  I've been working on this one off and on for a while.  Here is some more information on it when I originally started: http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,3225.0.html

This one is only a prototype, so no big deal if I lose it.  Anybody have experience preventing limb twist on recurves when tillering?

Thanks for the help…it's much appreciated!

woody

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline waterlogged

Re: Tiller help
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2008, 06:25:28 pm »
On the limb thats twisting, check to make sure that the bending part of the limb is the /exact/ same thickness on both sides. I've had several recurves twist like that, and they've been from the tiniest difference between sides.

Good luck with that, it's a really nice looking bow and it would be a shame to loose it.

Justin
Some mornings it just doesn't seem worth it to gnaw through the leather straps. ~Emo Philips
I do not know with what weapons World War 3 will be fought, but World War 4 will be fought with sticks and stones. ~Albert Einstein

woody

« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2008, 06:30:21 pm »
Thanks Justin.  That's amazing that the limbs would resopnd that dramatically to such little differences in thickness...I guess I now know why everybody says recurves are hard to tiller.

Offline Ryano

• Ryan O'Sullivan, North Western Pennsylvania
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2008, 06:41:48 pm »
Probally going to require a heat correction. Thats why you should tiller to brace and straighten the tips if necessary before you apply sinew.
Its November, I'm gone hunt'in.......
Osage is still better.....

woody

« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2008, 06:49:38 pm »
Ryano, I don't think the tips are out of line on this one, but I will definitely follow your advice in the future.  Thank you!

Offline Ryano

• Ryan O'Sullivan, North Western Pennsylvania
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2008, 08:16:08 pm »
I'd shorten up that handle section and get some more working limb to... ;)
Its November, I'm gone hunt'in.......
Osage is still better.....

woody

« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2008, 06:26:34 pm »
O.K. I think I see what you are talking about with the tips.  It's only when unbraced that they are aligned, but when braced...

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: July 31, 2008, 06:30:13 pm by woody »