Author Topic: any ideas are welcome  (Read 3290 times)

Offline sailordad

any ideas are welcome
« on: July 25, 2008, 08:23:16 pm »
           well i've been working on this one for a friend,again.  this is why i dont have a hunting bow finished for myself yet.
its boo/ipe  72" tip to tip,. i missed the weight i wanted because of a hinge just above the handle that ive been trying to fix, the wood actually felt softer in that area.
the hinge is better, yet i think still noticable. its pulling 35lbs @ 29".shoots really nice,seems fairly fast for the lite weight. 15 yds (thats all the shooting room i have in my backyard) it hits where i am  looking consistantly,which is good for me i usually have one arrow groups all over the block lol.
i havent done any thing with the tips yet,i was thinking of piking it a little?
any ways i am seeking any ideas that could help bring this one back up in weight some,and help the tiler along also.

please dont try and white wash it with all the usual pleasentries, i can take critisizim
feel free to make circles and colored lines to help explaine  etc, i like it cause it heps to get the point across ;D
any way here are some pics
braced,lower limb to the left,it is about .75 inch lower than the upper limb.

full draw on the tiller stick,lower limb still to the left.    if need be i can try to get a better full draw pic later

thanks for all the help/critisizim  ;)

peace,
                                                                      tim
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline snedeker

Re: any ideas are welcome
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2008, 09:31:15 pm »
You have to get the whole limb bending more on both limbs, especially the one on the right.  Too much bend both above and below the midsection.  You have plenty of length and can easily shorten to 65" to get your draw weight back up.

Dave

Offline DanaM

« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2008, 09:33:37 pm »
What Dave said, and remember patience is a virtue :)
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Rich Saffold

« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2008, 09:39:10 pm »
Tim,

If I was given this bow to fix, the first thing I would do would be to get the limbs symmetrical. Then I might shorten it, or the backing would become the core wood, and another backing would be added..if I wanted this length bow. With Ipe you can do these kinds of trick and get away with them...

Rich

Offline sailordad

« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2008, 02:58:34 pm »
snedeker,Danam,Rich

i would like to thank the three of you for your input

cant belive with all the talented and experienced bowyers on this site, that i only got three opinions on how to fix this one.

anyhow i really appreciate the three of you giving me your opinions.
i will try my best to save it,and keep ya all posted wit the results.

thanks again

peace,
                                                     tim

Offline welch2

• redneck heathen
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2008, 03:23:21 pm »
i missed the weight i wanted because of a hinge just above the handle that ive been trying to fix, the wood actually felt softer in that area.

I have had a similar problem before .I fixed one bow like this . I look a very thin delaminated piace of cow horn (from a failed attempt to straighten it for a horn bow ) and epoxied it to the belly of the bow .I started all the way up on the handle and ran it down across the fade and just past the hinge . After it dried I shaped it be smooth at the transition with the rest of the limb and retillered .   Because I never through nothing away ,I had the thin pieces of horn laying around . :)

Ralph

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2008, 05:57:51 pm »
Considering it is 72"long boo backed Ipe I would cut it down to 62" and re tiller it.  get more bend out to at least midlimb.  Considering what the tiller is like now I would only get it bending to midlimb then narrow the limb from there out, similar to a holmegaard. A relaxed profile picture would sure help.  ;) Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline sailordad

« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2008, 09:39:37 pm »
               thanks ralph and justin,

should i cut it down first then rewrik the tiller ,or rework the tiller then cut it down? ???

thank you,

peace,
                                                         tim

Offline The Burnt Hill Archer

• Potter County, Pennsylvania
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2008, 09:41:44 pm »
id say cut it and then re work.
stalk softly, and carry a bent stick.

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2008, 11:12:44 pm »
I try to never pull a bow further than it takes to expose a problem. Way to long on the pull for this problem. Let her down a bit. The tiller stick just aggravates the problem. I  suggest fixing up a rope and pulley.  I don't see that area off the handle as a hinge but it is about to be soon. I would  would work the left limb  mid limb on. First  I would straighten out the right limb. Leave the problem area alone and scrape beyond that and mid limb on. I defer to Rich on the piking part. He knows  more than i do. More on my site. Jawge
http://mysite.verizon.net/georgeandjoni/
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Gordon

« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2008, 04:02:06 am »
Shorten it and then get the mid to outer limbs working. And what Jawge said, no need to bend more than what you need to see any problems.
Gordon