Author Topic: First Bow Build...Need Advise  (Read 3995 times)

Offline agd68

First Bow Build...Need Advise
« on: July 28, 2008, 01:09:55 pm »
Hey All , My Buddy and I are getting ready to attempt our first bow build. Since this is our first we are looking at  backing the bow. I draw 29" and hope to get a 58" to 60" bow at 55/60lbs draw. Our available wood choices are Ash boards, Maple boards, or cherry logs that we could have milled. I also thought if we split the cherry on a band saw and carefully remove the bark we would have a stave already down to a single growth ring. Any advise on wood selection or dimensions etc would be appreciated. Looking to build a longbow/flatbow type.
Happiness is..
A wet lab, dirty gun, and a cold beer after a day on the Marsh

Papa Matt

Re: First Bow Build...Need Advise
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2008, 01:58:01 pm »
Hey brothers~

Anything you mentioned would work well for both types of bow(long and flat). I like white ash for short flatbows, but I have made a real nice 62" cherry flatbow as well, and all 3 woods could also make a longbow. In my opinion/experience if you want the bow that short(58-60") and you're gonna back it anyway, it'd be easiest to go with the ash boards. I'd go with anywhere from 1 5/8" to 2" mid-limb, then tapering out to about 5/8" at the knocks. Probably best to have her bend slightly in the handle too.

~~Papa Matt

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2008, 03:26:45 pm »
Probably the most important thing would be to use the wood with the straightest grain.  If the maple is the straightest then you're set (maple is an excellent bow wood).  IMO, The ash and cherry will make good bows also...but require more skill.

If you do not already have a good book on bow making, I strongly suggest that you beg, borrow, or "sneak" one. ;D
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline agd68

« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2008, 05:12:55 pm »
Thanks for your advise. I have a book by Jim Hamm on NA bows. It  deals with bows made from staves but I figured that all the info from the tillering stage forwad ought to apply to a board bow as well. I was thinking of a linen backing, what do you suggest.
Happiness is..

Papa Matt

« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2008, 05:22:40 pm »
A lot of NA bows were backed with sinew or rawhide, but the sinew is a challenge even for experienced bowyers. A thin rawhide backing, or a hickory or bamboo backing that you buy and glue on would probably be closest to what you are looking for.

~~Papa Matt

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2008, 05:25:54 pm »
I'm not saying you can't do 58", but for your first bow it would be a lot easier to go 68".  It would make it a lot easier on you and increase your odds.  Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Papa Matt

« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2008, 05:33:49 pm »
Justin's right. It is pretty short for a first time, PLUS, even experienced bowyers often start out with a longer bow than they want/need, and if it turns out good,  then shorten it and sand or scrape it lightly to the length/poundage they want. You would be well-advised to at least start 6-12 inches longer and then shorten it if you absolutely have to. But ake sure the 68" turns out good before you hack it down to 58'. There are many ways to mess a bow up even if you've done it for 10 years, and you'll wish you had that extra length to fall back on.

Good thing you pointed that out Justin.

~~Papa Matt

Offline agd68

« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2008, 05:57:08 pm »
After reading and reconsidering I think you guys are right about the length. I was considering a shorter bow for hunting, I use a 64" Montana thats a little unwieldy in a tree stand but I see your point on going longer. Now,if I wanted to add some reflex do I do it before or after I tiller or do you recommend sticking to a D bow
Happiness is..

Offline agd68

« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2008, 06:39:03 pm »
I know I'm going to look stupid asking this but.. what is the difference between a longbow and a flat bow? Is it length,profile. I have a Bear Montana longbow but it's flat not D shaped in  profile.
Happiness is..

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2008, 06:16:40 am »
First thing you need to do is get the custom glass bows out of your mind or you will probably be disappointed when you finish yours.It just ant the same animal. :) I wouldn't even concider building one for a 29 in. draw less than 64 and would probably go 68.I usuall double draw length and add the non bending handle and fad section is pretty safe if all goes well.But for you first it will probably be trouble if you go much shorter than that.Not that it can't be done but tillering will be a real challenge on one that short and you will probably wind up with a lot of set if it don't break.
I would go at least 1 1/2 to 1 3/4 at the fads to mid limb then tapper to about 1/2 at the tip to start with for the weight you want.About 66 or 68  Nock to nock.Good luck and keep us posted. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2008, 09:01:29 am »
What Pappy said. Check out my site. When I started I wish I built  a bend in the handle bow from red oak. Jawge
http://mysite.verizon.net/georgeandjoni/
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Papa Matt

« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2008, 09:33:05 am »
A flatbow just means that it's flat, and can have recurve. A longbows shape may be flat as well, but are usually not recurved. Most will recommend just making a bend in the handle D bow this time around, if you are really dying top do it you could put some reflex in it, but it will make the already tricky project a whole lot trickier.

p.s. NOBODY on here will ever think you look stupid asking a question, no matter what the question is. We love to help!!

~~Matt

Offline agd68

« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2008, 08:29:22 pm »
Ok, After all your great advise I decide on a 68" Ash board bendy handle D bow. Other than sinue what do you recommend to back it with?
Happiness is..

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2008, 08:36:19 pm »
Hickory or Silk
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah