Author Topic: Might as well get started  (Read 2675 times)

Offline crarnold65

Might as well get started
« on: July 22, 2008, 12:59:08 am »
Well time to quit mourning (didn't get my Iowa non resi bow permit) and get to work on my first bow project. i found a nice piece of red oak that just seems to be screaming my name. Any body have any opinions about red oak as a bow building platform. I also got most of my tools gathered up by doing a little shopping at the local home depot and with some help from a friend of mine who is a cabinet maker. My piece of stock is 1" x 2" by 72" long not sure where the project will end up but the shavings are a fixin to fly. :P :-\ >:D
"A man without a stick will get bitten, even by sheep" Hindu Proverb

I added a string to my stick. :-)

Offline sailordad

Re: Might as well get started
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2008, 12:08:52 am »
never used it myself.

however if there is minimal grain runout it should be fine. many use red oak boards,even better when backed.

or you can wait for someone with more knowledge,  i'm fairly new at this yet.

good luck
                                                                peace,
                                                                        tim
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

radius

« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2008, 12:25:16 am »
i'VE always found red oak dicey at best, but some people swear by the stuff...

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2008, 12:42:40 am »
People use red oak because it is readily available for most folks around the US. If you have access to other woods you them too.
  I have made a few nice red oak bows backed with hickory. One is a fast, hard hitting, almost indestructible 66" pyramid style bow that has been shot by lots of different folks and it still has the same profile as it did after break in. Manny recently posted a red oak self bow that was beautiful and I'd bet hard hitting.
   Almost any wood can make a good shooting bow if you design the bow to fit the wood you are using.   
Have you looked at George's website. He tells you everything you need to know about building a bow from a board.    Pat.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2008, 09:54:03 am »
That's what I was gonna suggest - check out Jawge's site. He's got it going on with board bows.
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline adb

« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2008, 11:26:55 am »
I'm not a big fan of any type of oak, but it does make decent bows. If it's a board, back it with hickory.

Offline crarnold65

« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2008, 04:27:45 pm »
Thanks for the replies.

I picked a piece of red oak that looked like it had possibilities and have been chewing and sanding on it for two days now. I need to figure out how to post pictures of it. I have a digital camera. I will figure it out and post some pictures. As I only have a couple hours a day to work on it the progress will be slow.

I have to say after spending time working on my project..........I cannot believe how much fun it is.

I picked out what I thought would be the best piece of wood out of what was there. Obviously it will have its issues and have already planned on putting some backing on it. I guess from everybodies post hickory would be the best. I am going to order some probably this week end. Unless somebady has some better info I am going to try Three Rivers.

I am starting to worry about becoming addicted............who cares, did I tell you I started my first bow.  ;D :D >:D
"A man without a stick will get bitten, even by sheep" Hindu Proverb

I added a string to my stick. :-)

DCM

« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2008, 04:36:37 pm »
Hickory backing from 3 rivers will cost more than a board merits.  I'd consider a simple cloth backing.  Or perhaps having the cabinet maker rip a maple, pecan (basically hickory), or even from another red oak board.  I'd also consider adding a 12" section to build up the handle and fades in the center, 1x2 is fine. 

But honestly, I've made my fair share of what I'd call good bows, none from red oak boards both backed and unbacked.  I think it's great as a learning tool, but would not invest a great deal of money, when "better" alternatives are at hand, if you are gonna spend money.  A hickory stave off of ebay, classified ads, or 3 rivers for that matter, for example.

woody

« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2008, 05:02:27 pm »
If you do not want to back it, then try following the instructions found at this website: http://paleoplanet69529.yuku.com/topic/6222/t/YOUR-FIRST-WOODEN-BOW.html.  I just made one exactly like this from a red oak board.  It pulls 55# @ 28" and has only about 1" of set, though it's hasn't been shot much.  I'll try to post some pics when I put a finish on it.