Author Topic: Billet Question  (Read 3583 times)

Offline loco cacahuate

Billet Question
« on: July 16, 2008, 11:33:03 pm »
Sorry if this subject has been discussed before but......
I have a Cherry plank over 4' and 1 inch thick. For my next project I would like to make a Hickory backed cherry bow with a Z cut splice. I've practiced making cutting the joint with some scrap lumber. My question is, do I need to put a dowel in the joint?
Never drop your gun to hug a grizzly

San Angelo TX

snakebow

Re: Billet Question
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2008, 11:38:13 pm »
I have spliced 2 bows so far so I am not an expert, but I put 2 dowells through the handle and have had no problems.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2008, 11:42:10 pm »
With the hickory backing and probably a riser on the belly side it shouldn't be necessary.     Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline kayakfisher

« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2008, 11:42:41 pm »
all the bows I have made are made from billets never doweled any of them , I have put a small piece of 1/8 plywood or another piece of wood on the belly side , riser to reinforce the joint
         Dennis
The river of life twist and bends, you never know whats around the next bend till your there

Springfield Mo home of  Kids,Tomato's and Tornado's

Offline adb

« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2008, 02:10:34 am »
If your splices are well cut, with little to no gap, a dowel is not necessary. Actually, a dowel will make a good splice joint weaker. A good splice, with a backing and riser handle... will never fail at the splice. After all, it's not bending there.

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2008, 08:00:52 am »
I've only done two spliced bows, but the one I put dowels in failed and the one I didn't dowel worked great. A split started at one of the dowel holes and worked across to the other, and boom.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

GraemeK

« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2008, 08:42:28 am »
The dowel only weakens the joint -- if the glue will not hold it together then the dowel certainly will not save it.

Graeme

Offline TRACY

« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2008, 10:40:56 am »
I'm not an expert in the billet area but have done a handful of splices now and don't use the dowel. My opinion is that it's better time spent making good cuts that match and gluing on a handle backing(belly side). There is a Build- Along that has some very useful info in the main menu.

Tracy
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956

Offline OldBow

• I'm just an old retired biology teacher.
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2008, 12:40:46 pm »
Most all of my bows are from billets. I don't dowel them but I do cram slivers of wood into any gaps.
When you're retired, every day is Saturday