Author Topic: problems heat treating  (Read 2178 times)

Offline benjamin

problems heat treating
« on: June 30, 2008, 01:02:53 am »
I want to heat treat an Ishi style self bow from a while back that has taken way too much set. The problem is that I've probably stained the wood with something VERY flamable  and it's the kind of stuff that soaks into the pores. I could try scraping the belly clean and hope I get the poundage back after the treatment, but I wonder if the heated back with the stain still on it wouldn't burst into flames or at the very least let off toxic fumes. The limbs are 3/16'' thick, hickory. Is this too dangerous to try?

radius

Re: problems heat treating
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2008, 01:31:58 am »
what kind of stain?  does it say flammable or toxic on the container?

If the limbs are only 3/16 thick and you've used a penetrating stain, then my impression is that you should give up the idea of heat treating it, and just make a new bow.  Also, if you do decide to heat treat it, heat the belly, not the back.  Go to Marc St. Louis' website, he has a tutorial on heat treating.  You can find it by going to the members list, finding him, and clicking on the link.

GraemeK

Re: problems heat treating
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2008, 06:38:52 am »
It is unlikely that the stain is flammable after it has dries -- or at least no more flammable than the wood -- try a sample on a bit of scrap wood, I think you will find it will not cause a problem.     ----- Graeme