Author Topic: A visit with a local bowyer!  (Read 4402 times)

Offline Apex Predator

A visit with a local bowyer!
« on: June 23, 2008, 08:01:26 pm »
I had a fellow respond on one of my bamboo backed bow build-a-longs.  It just so happens that he lives in rural Ga just an hour away.  His name is Jaap, and he has spent many years building bows from bamboo.  When I asked him how long he had been building bows, he responded by holding his hand about knee high.  I knew immediately from his accent that he wasn't from around these parts. He has spent many years in Ontario running Yumi Bows (http://www.yumi-bows.com/yumi.html).  He has spent much time in Japan and Korea, learning and teaching the ways of the primitive laminated bows.  He is now in Georgia growing his own bamboo for bow making.  I really wish I could remember the name of the variety that he grows and sells, but I can't.  It is some really beautiful stuff though.  He says the most important part in quality bamboo is the curing.  The quality of work is amazing.  I toured his shop, drying racks, and his grove of boo.  This gentleman is a true treasure to our sport.  I was able to buy five planks of the best quality bamboo that I have ever seen.  Here is Jaap under one of his drying sheds.

This is Jaap prepping a boo plank for backing.

Jaap showing me some of his fine bows.

Some of the bamboo planks that I purchased.

The grove of boo!  This will require a few more years before harvesting.

Unlike most of the bamboo you buy for bows that is used for Tiki bars and other decoration, this boo is raised, cut, and cured specifically for bow building. 

I enjoyed this visit a great deal, and plan to return often.
"I didn't claw my way to the top of the food chain to eat vegetables!"

Offline Badger

Re: A visit with a local bowyer!
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2008, 09:08:51 pm »
  Jaap is a great guy and so is his wife, both are A1 people. Jaap is a true artist, his bows don't just look good but they shoot just as well as they look. Steve

Far East Archer

« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2008, 11:25:18 pm »
Oh wow! I been meaning to meet Jaap, didn't know he was in Georgia now!  :o
His work is top quality and he has learned from the Japanese and Korean masters.

The bamboo he uses is madake, the same type that is used by the Japanese for yumi.
His grove is quite nice so far, I expect it to grow much in the coming years as it does here.

Alex

Offline medicinewheel

« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2008, 03:23:24 am »

jaap sure is an artist and great guy! - had organiced a clinic with him 2 years ago over here in germany and went to visit him and his wife shortly before they moved to georgia! he invited me and some friends to come down to a primitive archery meet on his property in november; hope i can come!
frank
Frank from Germany...

Rich Saffold

« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2008, 05:03:59 am »
Marty,  Bet that little trip made your day ;D  Glad you got some good bamboo!

Rich

Offline recurve shooter

« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2008, 06:37:57 pm »
looks like a feller who would know what he is doing. i swear one of these days i will proudly post a finished bow and half a dozen arras on here.  :P

but its really starting to discourage me. ???
lets just shoot it

Offline mole

« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2008, 11:36:01 pm »
I was talking to a friend of my girlfriend a few weeks ago and she remembered that I used bamboo for bows.  She told me that a relative that she just got through visiting had a neighbor that was growing bamboo for bow making.  When I guessed his name she looked like I just parted the Red Sea or something.  I've only read things about him, but I sure would like to meet him one day.

We ought to get a GA meet together someday.

John
Northeast Georgia