Author Topic: how would you fix this wormhole?  (Read 8025 times)

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
Re: how would you fix this wormhole?
« Reply #15 on: June 11, 2008, 02:31:36 pm »
Joukahainen, certain cuts of meat have sinew...like skirt or flank steaks (beef).  Just remove it from the meat as you normally would and then clean and dry it.  It's not as strong or long as leg sinew but it might work.
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Papa Matt

« Reply #16 on: June 11, 2008, 05:31:57 pm »
Joukaheinen, it looks like since you don't have any sinew and don't want to go through the hassle of getting some, then you basically have 2 options left. Fill it with liquid wood or sawdust and glue, and/or cut a strip to fit the tunnel and glue it in as well. Like Radius said, if you want to put a backing on it, that would be easiest (but you may have to order it). It's up to you. But I don't see it as being a problem. It can be done, it's just however you want to do it. Let us know and good luck!

P.S..... These tunnels like I said in my first response, are somewhat common in White Ash. The poor Ashes (which are a wide variety-Green, Black, White, Blue, etc.) are being plagued with an Emerald Ash Borer insect that is brilliantly colored in emerald, hence the name. I don't know if this is a worm that is doing the tunnels, or if it's the Emerald AB, but I am going through the exact same thing right now with some WA that I cut out of my own woods from a seemingly healthy good sized log. personally, I am using anything with a worm tunnel on the back for firewood, because I have a lot of it (don't have to pay for it) and because the bows I am going to make from it are to be sold, without backing and the buyer wants the wood all natural with no defects.  I love WA, but this is it's main drawback.

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #17 on: June 11, 2008, 08:56:10 pm »
jouk, you would violate the grain if you just sanded the hole but you could sand the whole length of the bow. Looks like that would bring you to 3/4 inch (1.92 cm) or so. Reduce the thickness all the way end to end  equally. It would help if you had a belt sander. 3/4 inch would allow you to make a bend in the handle bow. The handle would be the widest part at 1.5 in. The other thing is make that part the belly. Someone else above suggested it. It won't matter with a board. One way or another get rid of it or the board will break. IMHO. I've never had any luck with imperfect boards. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

joukahainen

« Reply #18 on: June 13, 2008, 02:34:48 pm »
Thanks for all the replies!

I ended up using a mix of sawdust and glue. Seems to hold so far.
Here it is after some tillering, braced (a bit too low) and with a draw of 24 inches and 53#
The final draw will be 28 inches, which should be around 65# So that's close enough.

The wormhole is in the limb on the right. I left that one a bit stiffer just in case. It will be the lower limb.

I was thinking that i might use rawhide to back it, if need be, since that is readily available in my area.
But if it is not necessary, then i would rather not use it. Maybe if i still need to tiller a lot of weight away or if the bow suddenly gets a lot of string-follow

The bow is pyramid shaped, much in the same measures as my last one, about 75 inches long, 2+ inches at the widest part and about ,4 inches at the tips.

So, what do you think of the tiller?

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #19 on: June 13, 2008, 04:00:42 pm »
Hey....glad you followed the advice....looks like you made a sweet Bow from it now....and I would say that you nailed the Tiller....that right Limb may be a little Stiff....but barely noticeable.... I really like it...and I like Pyramid Bows almost as much as I like Paddle Bows!!!

If You have Rawhide available....I would go ahead and Back it with it....Just for safety Sakes....make sure that you sand it down good and uniform in thickness before you use it though....I like to back Bows with Rawhide...but I always thin it way down so as to not add too much extra weight to the Limbs....Thanks for sharing this with Us...
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #20 on: June 13, 2008, 05:11:18 pm »
Tiller looks good. I would get the last 5 inches by scraping the near handle wood. Are yo sure your draw is 28 in. with a selfbow? Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

joukahainen

« Reply #21 on: June 13, 2008, 05:56:22 pm »
Well, im not sure really. I have made arrows that are 29 inches from the bottom of the arrow nock to the tip and i draw them pretty much up to the tip.

I havent really developed a consistent shooting style, and i have never had any training from anyone who shoots, or even watched one closely, so it may vary from time to time. But lately when i have been shooting in the field i usually draw about 1 inch less than full arrow-length, so that comes to about 28 inches.

Im relatively tall (6,3 ft) guy with monkeyarms so that draw seems comfortable in my inexperience. When i was shooting distance to test my second bow i noticed i could easily draw a lot more than the arrows allowed, but probably it's a good thing so i dont get too excited and bust my bow by overdrawing it. The 29'' arrows allow me to draw up to my cheek/chin, under my eye, and that seems to be the position where i may sometimes actually hit something  ;D

And yes, thanks for confirming that. I was thinking that the rest should come off from the very near handle, and maybe some from the end of the tips, they seem a bit stiff...

By the way, what kind of distance do you people get with about 50 pounds bow? without the flight-arrow tunings and stuff? like with a regular "target" arrow?
I'd like to know so i could compare my creations with some of the more advanced ones :) My arrows are made of pine, about 8mm thick with 3 big feathers and weight around 30g (460-470 grains). My second ashbow (about 45#) shot them between 130-150 yards. Is that like even a mediocre performance or is it just bad?

joukahainen

« Reply #22 on: June 13, 2008, 06:01:12 pm »
How much does rawhide backing add to draw-weight ? I suppose it depends on the thickness of it. But in general?
Does it change tiller a lot?

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #23 on: June 13, 2008, 06:24:22 pm »
How much does rawhide backing add to draw-weight ? I suppose it depends on the thickness of it. But in general?
Does it change tiller a lot?

Rawhide.... if sanded thin will not add any weight to the Bow to speak of...and will not change the Tiller either...as long as the Rawhide is sanded down to the same thickness....make sure that the piece of Rawhide is from the side or Belly...not the Shoulders or top of the Back....that is too thick and does not keep a steady thickness like the side and Belly seems to..
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

joukahainen

« Reply #24 on: June 13, 2008, 06:55:27 pm »
Okay, that is good to know. Thanks!