Author Topic: stain/dye question  (Read 3665 times)

salad days

stain/dye question
« on: June 04, 2008, 01:43:53 pm »
Hey all. I'm getting ready to finish a hickory backed/ hickory board bow and I would like to stain or dye it grey and black. I've seen some pro built bows that have grey finish with black in the grains. Anyone now how to acheive this effect. I have 3 rivers alcohol based charcoal stain and grey water based stain. I've tried multi lite coats of both on test peices and did'nt get the contrast I was hoping for. Also tried one coat of the darker stain then light sanding and then lighter colored stain on top but that didn't look very good at all. Any ideas will be appreciated and happily tested.

Offline DanaM

Re: stain/dye question
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2008, 01:46:47 pm »
I know regular old charcoal rubbed into the wood will usually darken the grain lines up, maybe do this first and then grey on top ???
Let us know if you get something to work eh
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline adb

« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2008, 03:21:55 pm »
Hickory doesn't take dye or stain well. You'll have difficulty with it. I usually use leather dye.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2008, 05:36:27 pm »
I like the looks of charcoal rubbed in like Dana said but if that isn't suitable try diluting your dark stain(I have done this with leather dye and alcohol) then when it dries use the gray over that.     Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2008, 05:47:28 pm »
I've seen one guy who "antiques" his wordwork by staining it with the lighter color first and then adding a dark pigment (like roofing tar...or crushed charcoal) to paste wax and then rubbing it into the wood until it fills the grains (or cracks).  I haven't tried this method myself but it seems to produce good results.
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline ricktrojanowski

• Worlds Greatest Deer Repellent
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2008, 06:02:54 am »
Aaron-
I never tried finishing hickory before, but have my best luck using water based aniline dyes on other wood types.  You can get it in powder form from most woodworking shops.
Traverse City, MI

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2008, 09:19:26 am »
 The silk, Hickory bow that I havew posted was burned with a heat gun and then charcoal rubbed into the grain.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline DirtyDan

« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2008, 11:30:34 am »
Here is what I would do.  I would paint the hickory with black acrylic paint, thinned with water.  When this dries, the grain will be raised.  Then sand off the black paint with fine sandpaper and it will all come off except the black paint down in the grooves of the wood.  Then come back with  thin grey acrylic  paint and rub it on with a cloth.  Make sure that you rub it so that it will soak into the surface wood but not into the black cracks.  When it is dry, then put whatever finish on it you like.  I like either Casey's True Oil or a rub on poly.   If you want to go "abo," rub the charcoal into the cracks, then put vinegar in a jar and put a piece of steel wool in the vinegar.  Let it sit for a few days, then take out the steel wool and rub the solution on the white wood.  It will turn a pretty silver grey.  I learned this from making instant barnwood frames for my paintings.

salad days

« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2008, 01:38:27 pm »
Dirtydan, Thats where I came up with the sanding method that I tried. Basically pickling stain. I never thought to try it with paint. If it works well I'll be in heaven cuz my wife is an artist and has probably a hundred colors of acrylic paint.

salad days

« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2008, 01:40:33 pm »
Rick, Where did you get dyes when you lived out here. I can't find a decent wood shop to save my life.

Offline DirtyDan

« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2008, 03:37:01 pm »
Good luck, Sunrise.  Let me know how it turns out.

Dan

Offline ricktrojanowski

• Worlds Greatest Deer Repellent
« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2008, 10:36:10 pm »
Aaron- I order them from woodworkers supply .com
Traverse City, MI