Author Topic: Laminations?  (Read 2994 times)

Offline Hickoryswitch

Laminations?
« on: June 03, 2008, 10:40:49 pm »
I've never tried a laminated bow but would like to. I was wondering how yall tapered your laminations. I have some tonkin boo and some vertical grain boo flooring. Could someone also give me rough dimensions needed for a bow 55@28. Thanks
Wayne Silverthorn

Offline bowmunky13

• eat more human
Re: Laminations?
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2008, 11:18:26 pm »
no dimensions here... but when i build furniture i somtimes laminate.... i use a belt sander... if you dont want to go out and buy a biggun... you can do what i did.. buy a handheld one that has a trigger catch on it... you can use it in a vise... or build a table for it with a couch for the hand grip and bulk of the machine itself... i have heard people using thickness planers... spokeshaves.. and scrapers in combo with sanpaper
death by natural causes

Offline Hickoryswitch

« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2008, 11:27:55 pm »
I was thinking maybe I could build a jig for the table saw. Thats how we did our glass bows. The bad thing was we killed two lams with every cut cause of kerf. Thanks i might have start trying the belt sander for other things than rough tillering.

Wayne Silverthorn

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2008, 11:35:24 pm »
  You'll have an easier time with a sander or joiner. It isn't that hard using a drawknife if you take your time to really get a good glue fit. I'm definately not an expert on lams, most of mine have been glued up from table saw cuts.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Gordon

« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2008, 03:09:38 am »
On my last bow I used a parallel 1/8" vertical boo lamination for the core. I used wood for the belly and tillered it like I would a self bow.
Gordon

Offline Hickoryswitch

« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2008, 10:11:37 pm »
Thanks everyone. Still got a couple questions though. If I build a laminate out of boo&boo flooring how wide do i need to go for a 50 to 55 @28 r/d? I've never worked with boo and really have no earthly idea.
Wayne Silverthorn