Author Topic: Tiller Tree  (Read 3558 times)

Offline bigcountry

Tiller Tree
« on: June 09, 2008, 11:17:59 am »
Well, I built a nice tiller tree.  But after playing with it, not sure if I got it setup where the handle lays.  I was wondering if I should come up with a way to strap down the bow where the bow handle and fades are to keep it square?   Or if the bow leans one way, that automatically tells me I am too stiff on that limb?

Advise welcome.
Westminster, MD

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
Re: Tiller Tree
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2008, 11:19:21 am »
I usually clamp the handle down or snug it in with a little wedge of wood.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2008, 11:47:31 am »
If both limbs are equal strength or close it should stay in place on the tree. I sometimes clamp or wedge, like Steve said if the handle area is uneven.
   Generally I will leave my handle area blocky until the very last so I get good support when on the tiller tree and so I have a place to clamp the bow while working on it.     Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Badger

« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2008, 12:15:33 pm »
You can keep a fabric strap laying around and wrap the handle in such a way that it stays put in the tiller tree, when you get it the way you want just wrap a little tape around it. I don't usually need to do this but some handles just don't seem to stay put very well. Steve

Offline bigcountry

« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2008, 12:22:44 pm »
If both limbs are equal strength or close it should stay in place on the tree. I sometimes clamp or wedge, like Steve said if the handle area is uneven.
   Generally I will leave my handle area blocky until the very last so I get good support when on the tiller tree and so I have a place to clamp the bow while working on it.     Pat

I have been rasping my handles to be bulb like and I do this while floor tillering.  I can see the advantages or waiting now and keeping it blocky.
Westminster, MD

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2008, 12:56:13 pm »
I leave the handles and tips with extra wood until the very last. You can get and see good tiller with them like that and if you have to make adjustments you have plenty to work with. Handles and tips are the last thing I work on before I add the finish.     Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Lost Arra

« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2008, 12:58:19 pm »
Dean Torges wrote an article, Tillering the Organic Bow, and in it he describes changes to his original tillering tree so the bow rests on a single point contact.

http:// www. bowyersedge .com/organic.html

See the Balancing Act section.

(I still use a "cradle" and clamp/wedge the handle in it. I also like to have my handle depth dimension established early in tillering but it can still be blocky).
« Last Edit: June 09, 2008, 06:55:35 pm by Justin Snyder »

Offline Dano

« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2008, 05:30:04 pm »
I made a little half round insert for my tiller tree, just to try Dean's ballencing act, takes some gettin used to, but I like it.
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy."

Nevada

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2008, 06:58:57 pm »
I leave a little extra wood on the riser and rasp it so the limbs set evenly on the tillering tree.  I want them in the same spot when I start tillering.  Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2008, 08:42:30 pm »
I do what Pat does. I leave the handles for last. That way I can shape the handle to track the string better by shaping the handle accordingly. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline bigcountry

« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2008, 08:48:51 pm »
I have definately realized its the little things like this that makes a big difference.
Westminster, MD

radius

« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2008, 09:25:52 pm »
not only that, but it sucks to put all that work into making a nice handle just to have a limb snap on you!