Author Topic: Whip Tillered  (Read 5212 times)

Phillip K

Whip Tillered
« on: June 06, 2008, 04:02:30 am »
Is this what you would call whip tillered? The widest is 1/5/8  at the Handle fades,Tapers to 1/2 atthe tips, handle is 6 inches 50#@26 66".
Z grain at the handle fades is wavy, having this overwhelming fear that if I take any more off the fades it's gonna pop, upper limb is on the right side..PK

« Last Edit: June 08, 2008, 04:22:34 pm by Phillip K »

Offline Badger

Re: Whip Tillered
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2008, 06:11:31 am »
     Thats not whip tillered at all. Just stiff out of the fades and working mostly mid limb, very good performing tiller shape if it doesn't take too much set in the bending area. Steve

DBernier

« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2008, 06:26:31 am »
Not that I am an experienced Boyer, (14 bows so far) but it looks good to me. Yea the bottom limb looks a "little" stiff but hey----shoot it and see what happens. The proof is in how it slings an arrow. If 26/27 inches is your pull, what the heck, you are there. We tend to "sometimes" go for that tiny bit extra. You know that feeling you got---listen to it.  ???   We tend to forget we are working with one of Gods variables---wood. It is still a nice job so far.

Dick

Online Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2008, 06:34:24 am »
Not what I call wip tiller either ,just stiff in the fads.It will work just loosing a lot of working limbs.
Ones I have done like that stacked pretty bad.Shot OK but stacked. :)
      Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Phillip K

« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2008, 02:56:01 pm »
Thanks People,now My understanding of Whip tiller and stacking are much clearer, Here is a photo of the set.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2008, 04:29:48 pm by Phillip K »

radius

« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2008, 03:10:54 pm »
the majority of the wood is in the 1st foot or so out of the fades:  it is widest there, and thickest...in a tiller like this one, you are not using the majority of the available wood.  That's just wasted mass.  If it were me, I'd go back and scrape that sucker down some more, and then if it came in underweight, pike it a couple and heat treat the belly.

Offline D. Tiller

• Go ahead! Bend that stick! Make my day!!!
    • Whidbey Island Soap Co.
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2008, 04:20:17 pm »
Yep! Work on the inner limbs a bit more. Can we have a view of the back of the bow and the tips?
“People are less likely to shoot at you if you smile at them” - Mad Jack Churchill

Offline sailordad

« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2008, 08:06:35 pm »
yup thats looking like a pretty piece of wood.
but i agree with others,looks stikk out of the fades. i would work about the first 6"-8" out of the fades some and the tiller would look sweeet 8)
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline adb

« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2008, 08:44:38 pm »
Hey, PK
That's not whip tillered at all. Looks good to me... go shoot it. Sure it's stiff in the handle, but it has a built up riser, and I'm sure you don't want it to pop off. It'll have a bit more set, but you sure won't have any hand shock. Use it for a target bow, with lighter arrows.

radius

« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2008, 11:45:03 pm »
adb, that's not a "stiff handle" that's a 20" handle with short bending limbs!

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2008, 11:47:08 pm »
No but I do like a little more bend close to the handle. Jawge
http://mysite.verizon.net/georgeandjoni/archer.html
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline shamus

« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2008, 12:14:38 am »
 Overall, pretty good. 

some observations.:

The left limb: looks pretty good. The blue areas are a bit stiff.

The right limb: The red area is close to being hinged. I'd address that. The blue areas are stiff and could stand to bend a little more.

Phillip K

« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2008, 02:56:36 am »

I shot it at the indoor range today at 20 yards, missed the 12 bY 12 target 5 out of 20 times.
Found out the tips are twisted so I fixed that then Scraped just off the fades Reflexed and heat treated, the backing came loose so I re-attached it,Its drying now But it will look different than the Photo in the Photobucket folder. This is the last board bow I am doing so I Don't mind experimenting with it. After this Bow is Staves ever after.PK
« Last Edit: July 18, 2008, 08:29:50 am by Phillip K »