Author Topic: Smooth-On  (Read 2040 times)

Offline Key

Smooth-On
« on: May 31, 2008, 09:26:15 pm »
I had a friend tell me to dilute Smooth-On with alcohol and than brush it on a bow like you would varnish. Has anyone here used this process to protect the bow belly and back? 
Roger

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Smooth-On
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2008, 09:36:11 pm »
I have used Massey finish, 2Ton epoxy diluted with acetone, basically the same thing. When you apply, wipe it on in one swipe and let it cute before adding more. If you try to wipe it more it will streak...at least it did for me.         Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Key

« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2008, 09:39:42 pm »
Thanks Pat, I have acetone so I will use that instead of alcohol. How many coats should I put on the bow? Do I want to put anything on top of that process or is that the final finish?
Roger

Offline PatM

« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2008, 09:40:08 pm »
    He is probably trying to describe "Massey" finish to you. That would usually be acetone and Epoxy.
 Apparently Epoxy is best thinned with the proper thinner for the job. There are true Epoxy thinners available but most people do settle for the Acetone or Lacquer thinner as a substitute. Using multiple layers works best as Epoxy isn't nearly as effective as a finish when thinned.
 Not sure about Alcohol as a thinner.