Author Topic: Inaugural “junior” bow trade  (Read 22191 times)

Offline JW_Halverson

Re: Inaugural “junior” bow trade
« Reply #225 on: September 20, 2024, 09:09:46 pm »
I had a trade bow down to final tillering and something slipped and it flew off the tillering tree, and cracked a limb less than a week before deadline. I was sick. It was looking great and I was even gonna enter it as a contender for bow of the month.

I sent my apologies and brooded for two days. I laid in bed one night and it was just eating at me, I could not get to sleep. So I got up, went to the garage, turned on the radio. I pulled out a stave with the bark on just as the classic JJ Cale song began to play....After Midnight, pretty appropriate since it was just a little after midnite. This was the original, not the cover by Slow Hand.

Some time around dawn I was down to final tillering, fastest I had ever made a bow. I glued on tip overlays and set it aside. That evening after work I hit tiller, draw weight, and draw length with a few dozen scrapes. I finish sanded and started laying on the finish. One of the best bows I have ever made and the recipient really liked it. I think I shipped it only a little late.  My two take-away lessons: 1) Don't get caught in analysis paralysis, and 2) never beat yourself up excessively, learn to forgive yourself.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline sleek

Re: Inaugural “junior” bow trade
« Reply #226 on: September 20, 2024, 11:25:10 pm »
Thanks , I’ll clear out some space. 

How does everyone feel about next weekend as the shipping date?
Ill probably ship next week, bit if not, certainly the week after.
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others