Author Topic: Possible new bow start  (Read 1785 times)

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
Re: Possible new bow start
« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2024, 07:54:20 am »
I'll take one half if you like ;)  ;D ::) ???
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline Muskyman

« Reply #16 on: March 05, 2024, 09:45:54 am »
Nice straight looking piece of wood there Pat. I wasn’t aware you could use a sap ring for the back on a sapling. Now I’ve got to ask how long will you have to dry it before you can make your bow.

Offline superdav95

« Reply #17 on: March 05, 2024, 10:22:01 am »
Pat.  Have you considered a semi hollow limb build?  I think it could be a good candidate for this with higher crown worked down to one of those fatter heartwood rings.  Fwiw
Sticks and stones and other poky stabby things.

superdav95@gmail.com

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: March 05, 2024, 01:05:28 pm »
Dave, I've never tried a HLD. I'll have to think about it.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: March 09, 2024, 02:30:23 pm »
After the pole sat in the basement for a week I went down today and cut it to 6" then sawed it in half lengthwise. You can see from the pics that there is already tension in the halves. I sealed the ends of both halves and bound them back together. I added spacers between the halves but there was so much tension that some of the spacers fell out but the air space is still there. Now the waiting begins. I'd like to give these halves at least 2 months to at lease fry some before I start on a bow. Here are a few pics...

Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Muskyman

« Reply #20 on: March 09, 2024, 03:44:48 pm »
I’m watching this pretty closely Pat. I might have a sapling I can harvest that’s similar to yours. At least the guy said I could have it. Haven’t talked with him for awhile but I think it’ll happen. I’m guessing you sawed it into with a bandsaw?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: March 09, 2024, 06:36:41 pm »
Yes, I used my bandsaw to saw it in half. I was sure there wasn't and twist to it so it should be good to go.
 There was an article in an old PA magazine called "Limbows" by Dane Snodgrass. It was about a guy named Sonny Imens(sp?) that built bows similar to these. That's where I got the idea for these bows. I got to see a few of Sonny's bows and know a few people that have them and they are quite impressive.

Offline superdav95

« Reply #22 on: March 10, 2024, 12:28:33 am »
should be cool to watch this build.  drying time will drive us nuts but good things come to those who wait they say. 8)
Sticks and stones and other poky stabby things.

superdav95@gmail.com

Offline wooddamon1

« Reply #23 on: March 10, 2024, 04:07:57 pm »
Pretty cool seeing bows made by the guy who planted the trees, Pat. Looking forward to seeing what you come up with.

Offline Will B

« Reply #24 on: March 10, 2024, 07:51:37 pm »
Very interested in how this turns out. Thanks for posting Pat.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #25 on: March 10, 2024, 09:47:08 pm »
Nice start, love them limb bows, I knew Sonny and he built some beautiful bow most all from limbs, he was a great guy to boot.  :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #26 on: March 10, 2024, 11:50:52 pm »
I got to meet Sonny years ago at Friendship, Ind. and saw a few of his bows then. Sonny's LImbows got me interested in these bows and they work amazingly well.