Author Topic: New Reflexed Pyramid HBO---full draw added  (Read 6405 times)

radius

New Reflexed Pyramid HBO---full draw added
« on: May 24, 2008, 09:30:38 pm »
HBO huh?  Just in time for a special.

This is a 38# hickory backed osage board bow that I just finished today.  These reflexed pyramid bows are sure fast shooters!  The arrows throw the target around like nothin.

First picture shows how much reflex i started with.

What I started with for nocks.

Nocks after tillering and shaping.

Handle before oiling.

Handle after oiling.

Tips after oiling.

I'll see if i can get a full draw picture up here soon...I think i'm finally getting the hang of shaping the handle to be comfortable and look good...the arrow shelf is radiused both ways.  And I can finally shape the tips without digging into the backing strip...thank god.

Thanks for looking.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2008, 12:37:06 pm by radius »

Offline adb

Re: New Reflexed Pyramid HBO
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2008, 10:33:43 pm »
Hey, Scott
Man... you've been bit hard by the bow bug!!! You're crankin' 'em out!! Nice work. You seem to have come a fair ways in the last short while. Carry on!!

Offline OldBow

• I'm just an old retired biology teacher.
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2008, 10:39:07 pm »
Two Q's
Looking forward to the Full Draw of this one. Soon?
What is the book on your shelf "The Golden Dawn" about?
When you're retired, every day is Saturday

radius

« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2008, 10:48:14 pm »
1st A:  full draw...soon?

2nd A:  The Golden Dawn is a book about occultism...when i was younger i used to be into ceremonial and ritual magick and spiritualism...now it's just a book on the shelf.  Heard of it?

And for Adam:  yeah, I definitely got the bug.  And thanks for noticing that I've improved...I started making bows about 2 years ago, and this one here oughta take me up over 50...i learned a lot from you guys on this site, and I use the internet to get images which i then try to copy or imitate...

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2008, 12:31:25 am »
I like it!!!.........Looks really nice ...but I thought  Pyramid Bow was supposed to be like this............ >:D :o

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: May 25, 2008, 12:37:50 am by El Destructo »
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Dustybaer

« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2008, 05:26:41 am »
nice bow.  i like the handle a lot.

destructo, in my opinion, a typical pyramid would obtain its tiller predominantly from the width taper, with a nominal thickness taper.  i think hat's what you have in mind.  on the other side, any bow that is wider at the fades than at the tips and has a linear width taper could be called a pyramid bow.  i think that's what radius built here.   just my 2 cts.

Offline El Destructo

« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2008, 08:55:22 am »
nice bow.  i like the handle a lot.

destructo, in my opinion, a typical pyramid would obtain its tiller predominantly from the width taper, with a nominal thickness taper.  i think hat's what you have in mind.  on the other side, any bow that is wider at the fades than at the tips and has a linear width taper could be called a pyramid bow.  i think that's what radius built here.   just my 2 cts.

Gotcha!!!! Was just Teasing Scott a bit.........he'll get over it!!!

:o
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline david w.

« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2008, 02:57:47 pm »
sweet bow, love that handle it looks like one great bow!
These pretzels are making me thirsty.

if it dont go fast...chrome it - El Destructo

radius

« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2008, 10:22:46 pm »
El destructo:  don't make me come over there! >:D

My understanding of a pyramid bow is that it tapers in width in one long line from fades to tips, and that the thickness is essentially uniform the whole way along.

Yours is damn huge, but anyone can see you like to use your bows as windbreaks or canoe paddles....

I've made a couple of the HBO pyramids now, and they both came in at about 40#, plus or minus.  I think in order to get a bow up over 50# you need to make it wider to begin with, so that at the fades you've got 1 3/4" or even 2" of meat.  I'm not into that, so i think i'll hang up the pyramids until someone asks me to make them a 40# bow.   They do shoot fast!  But so do my other bows...

Offline El Destructo

« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2008, 10:33:49 pm »
Scott........You can come down here.....and I will get you to like these Paddle and Pyramic Bows too!!!

The one Hickory Pyramid Bow is 55" Tall and 2 1/2" wide at the Fades...and Tapers to 1/2" at the Tips....it's 75 pounds at 28 inches of Draw....the Smaller one is 45 inches Long and 2 Inches Wide....and Shoots 45 Pounds at 24 Inches of Draw....You need to really try one of these Wide Limbed Bows.....They are awesome to Shoot ...and do they zip an Arrow!!!
2024...We Will Overcome

radius

« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2008, 10:49:19 pm »
i made a white oak pyramid bow once, it's 2" at the fades, and even though it pulls 45#, it's damn slow...but it was one of my 1st bows, so maybe i shouldn't judge that style by my earlier failures...it was a huge success back then!  but now i think it's just a piece of ...

radius

« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2008, 10:13:03 pm »
full draw...